The Committee to Keep Music Evil Forum

CTKME Forum

It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:28 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Committee to Keep Music Evil's online forum!

Post subject: 2017 BJM Tour Reports
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:15 am 

March 4, 2017, Los Angeles Fonda Theater with Miranda Lee Richards

Maybe a 2 hour set, all good spirited and competent, pretty much picking up where the last shows left off. The sound was great for most of the show but went a bit off from Pish onwards.

Mara Keagle sang Anemone and some backing vocals on Sailor. There was also a new song - I don't know the title but it was loud and discordant and I like it immediately. (EDIT: it's "Before You Forget")

Anton told some stories about when he first got his glasses and killing someone by yelling at them. There was the odd false start (I even thought he was playing Here It Comes at the beginning), but nothing major went wrong.

Joel's tambourine chucking was rather erratic. For the introduction to Who?, he missed it and it bounced under the keyboards and hit Rob's leg (you could see Rob trying to look under the keyboard while playing, to try to work out what hit him). The next one was lobbed high and went over Dan and his kit, falling at the back of the stage. The third one was also missed but he had another tambourine at the ready and didn't miss a beat. For Yeah-Yeah, he made the catch.

Set list - I went to help with merch during Wisdom, so it's possible I've got Leave It Alone and What You Isn't swapped round.

High point: Anemone. I've at least 6 people sing Anemone live now, but Mara singing it just sounded so right.

Low point: If I'm being super-picky, Jokers and Wisdom felt a bit ponderous.

Geezers
Vad Hande Med Dem?
Who?
Whatever Hippie *****
Nevertheless
Government Beard
Groove is in the Heart
Before You Forget
Anemone (sung by Mara Keagle)
When Jokers Attack
Sailor
Days, Weeks & Moths
Servo
Pish
The Devil May Care
Wisdom
Jennifer
Leave It Alone
What You Isn't
Yeah-Yeah

Last edited by gia on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 2017 BJM Tour Reports
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:35 pm 

Keep on Rockin' Gia.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:41 pm 

Thanks Gia. Always love your reviews. Thought they might add song Dont Get Lost or tracks from the new one. Then again, it's only a mini-tour. You were lucky to be there!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:26 pm 

Hi folks. I thought the show was great. I was sitting in the first row in the balcony and the view, and sound, was perfect. Joel's tambourine tosses were not working well as Gia pointed out. At one point I think his tambourine hit Anton in the forehead and, in one his his body-twirls, onstage, he actually fell down. I thought it was all quite funny. Anton never said a word. I guess that's what happens when one hangs out in the Blue Palms tap room tooo long before the show :-)

Gia, I was looking for you but pretty much kept to my seat upstairs. I spotted you while downstairs at the main bar, turned to follow, and catch, you, but you dipped into the restroom there. I thought it best not to follow you at that point... Haha

I, probably, can't make the May show at the Wiltern. I have been in-process of opening a micro brewery with tasting room for well over one year. I hope to open in late April, so may actually have to work every night.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:07 pm 

Wow Mara :( Keagle singing anenome..that's something not to be missed..thanks again gia..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:11 am 

Gmgates - I did spot you up on the balcony. I didn't know there was a Wiltern show. I probably won't make that, sadly.

Good luck with the microbrewery!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:13 am 

March 7, 2017, White Oak Music Hall, Houston TX, with Flower Graves

NO RYAN.

Anton announced that he's had to split back to Iceland, leaving the BJM with only 2 guitarists when he's always written for 3. So there was a lot of swapping round with guitar parts - for example, Anton played the riff on Jokers (on a 6 string, more twangy than usual), Ricky was playing more, Rob played guitar on Anemone and Servo, and Christof played guitar on Jokers, Sailor and Nevertheless.

Other songs sounded a little like the keyboards were doing more of the heavy lifting than usual, e.g. Pish and Servo, though that could have been more to do with errant volume levels than design.

So it was a pretty interesting show. I think having some adversity made it more engaging.

Anton said that the new song came out of a workshop he led in Poland. He also talked about drinking ginger ale to help his voice when it sounds "scratchy". Forgot to mention this last time, but the overgrown chops have gone.

It was a well-lit show, so some decent photos will follow when I get back to Blighty.

High point:
The new song and Whatever Hippie *****. While I was standing in line outside, I found out I'm being made redundant, so those songs suited my mood.

Low point:
Finding out I'm being made redundant. Though Anton did start complaining about the sound towards the end of the set, if it has to be something BJM-related.

Amusing point:
During Devil May Care, a lady appeared beside me at the front, clutching her ticket and a Sharpie. She proceeded to wave them both at Anton, yelling "BRIAN!" at him repeatedly. After the fourth or fifth time, I had to say something.

Geezers
Vad Hande Med Dem?
Who?
Whatever Hippie *****
That Girl Suicide
Groove is in the Heart
Before You Forget
Government Beard
Anemone
Leave It Alone
When Jokers Attack
Sailor
Nevertheless
Days, Weeks & Moths
Prozac v Heroin
Pish
The Devil May Care
Servo
What You Isn't
Yeah-Yeah

2 hours

Last edited by gia on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:32 am 

What an interesting show this has been for sure.

j.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:27 pm 

In the meantime, here's some phone photos.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:52 am 

March 8, 2017, The Mohawk, Austin TX, with The Cush.

Still without Ryan.

This show seemed rather subdued to me, up until the last 2 songs. It might have been low energy (Anton mentioned that he was still jet lagged, and he also seemed to be coughing and spluttering a little), or the sound (Anton's vocals were fairly high up the mix, without much reverb, and it was an outdoor show so probably rather quiet), or where I was standing (up on a balcony with HelloTina and 12StringDreams - I went downstairs for Yeah-Yeah and it was more of a sonic assault).

Maybe I should say mellow, rather than low energy? And uneventful. Anyway, for most of the set, the slower quieter songs seemed to work best. Leave It Alone didn't seem to suffer from Ryan's absence (though his guitar part is significant) and Days, Weeks & Moths, mostly for Anton's guitar solos.

Anton mentioned that the new song was written for Melody from Melody's Echo Chamber to sing.

I do feel a bit sorry for Rob. He's now the only person doing backing vocals on Devil May Care. And I couldn't hear his vocal at all on Pish.

High point:
Yeah-Yeah, Leave It Alone, What You Isn't

Low point:
Probably Jokers, as I'm still not sure about the way Anton plays the riff. But it is his song, so who am I to criticise?

Geezers
Vad Hande Med Dem?
Who?
Whatever Hippie *****
That Girl Suicide
Groove is in the Heart
Before You Forget
Government Beard
Anemone
Leave It Alone
When Jokers Attack
Sailor
Nevertheless
<lounge-y kind of jam while Ricky's amp was swapped out)
The Devil May Care
Prozac v Heroin
Days, Weeks & Moths
Pish
Servo
What You Isn't
Yeah-Yeah

2 hours 10 mins

Phone photos:

Last edited by gia on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:44 am 

Is the "New Song" from don´t get lost?

j.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:40 pm 

jemen wrote:
Is the "New Song" from don´t get lost?

No, it's unreleased. But I've checked through YouTube and it's this one - "Before You Forget". The live rendition with the band is really powerful.

https://youtu.be/Tyq8qHyXEeQ

I'll edit the posts with the set lists to put the title in.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:53 am 

March 9, 2017, Trees, Dallas TX, with Monoculture

Again, no Ryan.

Doors opened 90 minutes before the opening band went on. 75 minutes into waiting in my preferred spot at the front, I peeked under the curtain and realised I was stuck behind a fake tree at the front of the stage. Some surreptitious shuffling by me and the couple next to me got us further enough along to get a good view. I was worried that Anton might hide behind the tree, but thankfully he didn't.

They are working out the 2 guitar/occasional stand in thing now and it was a strong show. No surprises in the set and it wasn't perfect, but it felt much more vibrant than the Austin show.

High point:
When Jokers Attack.
Surprising, I know, but towards the end, there was one of those spells where you look round and you can see and hear what each person is contributing and feel how the whole is magically greater than the sum of its parts.

Low point:
Can't think of one. I even enjoyed Government Beard (which I don't normally care for much)

Geezers
Vad Hande Med Dem?
Who?
Whatever Hippie *****
That Girl Suicide
Groove is in the Heart
Before You Forget
Government Beard
Anemone
Leave It Alone
When Jokers Attack
Sailor
Nevertheless
Days, Weeks & Moths
<break while Anton went outside to smoke>
Pish
Servo
The Devil May Care
What You Isn't
Yeah-Yeah

Despite having a ticket and flights booked, I have to skip Mexico City. Don't suppose anyone on here is going?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:40 pm 

you usually know about those things before anyone else Gia, so I'm wondering, any idea if a European tour is planned anytime this year ?
Havent seen them in ages, and especially feel bad about missing the band last year...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:37 am 

I don't usually get advance information - I usually hear from this forum or Facebook.

One of the audience members in Dallas said he'd been talking to Ricky in the smoking area and there weren't any more shows planned at the moment. However, we know that's not completely right because they are playing Psycho Las Vegas this summer. So I'm none the wiser, sorry!

Contact Us | All times are UTC