The Committee to Keep Music Evil Forum

CTKME Forum

It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:25 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Committee to Keep Music Evil's online forum!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Basketball fans?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:17 pm 

Playoff time!

In the east, Cleveland have looked dominant all season but a big upset might be around the corner, me thinks (Orlando?).
Then again, maybe that big upset is in the west? Most assume the Lakers will make it to the championship for the west but if Portland keep playing like they have for the past 10 or so games they are the biggest threat to spoiling LA's party. I would so love to see the Blazers and the Lakers meet in the second round.

Before that though, the first round of playoffs begin today. Best match-up of all teams is Portland vs. Houston. Gotta run with the Blazers in 6 (maybe 7...but Blazers to advance. Sorry Houston!).

Let the games begin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:36 pm 

Its netball for boys....

:lol:

BLACK KNIGHT: Just a flesh wound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:01 pm 

mbbcfc wrote:
Its netball for boys....

Big boys.

From what I understand both sports were invented in USA. Basketball came first, netball shortly after as a girls alternative (back then girls were not allowed to play basketball or baseball thus, netball and softball). Netball eventually spread throughout British colonies but less popular here. Probably because women's basketball eventually took off in the States.

Nevertheless, basketball is a great game and it's become one of the world's most popular sports. More and more Europeans are getting signed to NBA teams. Spain has a great national team!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:36 am 

Netball is so inexplicable. It is literally basketball with heaps of the things that make basketball good taken out... I can see why it started, if girls were deemed unable or not allowed to play bball in a different social climate in the past, but how anyone in the entire world could choose to play it now when basketball is right there is flabbergasting!! I have had so many ridiculous arguments where people say netball needs more skill and athleticism.... urrgghhh

anyway!

gotta disagree on orlando coming with an upset.... they are banged up... I've got Cleveland going all the way.

I'd like to see Houston beat the Blazers, it'll be a very good series.... im gonna say Houston in 7..

I really don't see anyone in the west giving the lakers anything more than a small temporary scare.... but I definitely think the Cavs will take them in the finals.

What I'm way more interested in though is Shawn Kemp playing in italy, except he went for a few preseason games and then dropped out! he is my childhood idol and has fucked me over so many times and is basically the reason i am the horrible person i am today

Ice Cube

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:35 pm 

^^^ :lol:

Great post "Not You"...

I totally agree about Netball...only watched it played competitively once or twice in the Olympics (or was it British commonwealth games?). The pace of the game has nothing on basketball.

Cavs have looked pretty damn dominant all season and they have defended their court better than anybody. Their success is good for the city after a disasterous Browns season and the Indians collapsing to the Red Sox in the ALCS two years ago.

Houston won the first game very convincingly. Portland clearly need to readdress their game plan and stop Houston's point guards and slow Ming down. We'll see if they do so on Tuesday.

Early days...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:27 pm 

i hate to be the one to say it, but the lakers are definitely coming out of the west. no team in the west has an answer to kobe. i hate him, but he's fucking awesome. and sorry man, but portland got dominated in game 1. yall really need oden back in the mix playing up to his potential. he's on his way to becoming this generation's grant hill/penny hardaway.

some upsets are happening in the east. we beat boston in overtime sat, which was a fucking fantastic game. (btw, chicago had the greatest day in sports sat, with the bulls, white sox, cubs and blackhawks all winning!) keep an eye out for my boy derrick rose. he's the fuckin truth! orlando's upset was a bit of a surprise too.

so to be super predictable, i'm going with lakers and the cavs in the finals. i had high hopes for boston, but garnett could be out for the entire playoffs, and boston is returning to their pre-kg mediocrity. which is a shame. i also had high hopes for new orleans and san antonio, because they generally step up in the playoffs, but can't be sure yet as to what they'll do for the rest of their series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:12 pm 

yeah shiva, I can see the Rockets being a problem for them but Portland are certainly capable of turning it around if they act right! I'd love for Yao to dominate the series though, he's looking good lately, more passionate and aggressive... he's still a bit too asian (as in polite) for me, if he went crazy ona nightly basis and just disrespected everyone he'd be a monster

I am so glad the Spurs run of dominance is over... they are so boring to watch and for some reason the TV here is heavily biased toward them so whenever they are playing all through the playoffs I'm just bombarded with their shit. Fuck them.

Honestly I'm a bit dissapointed KG's out. cuz all the Boston fans will act like that's why they didn't win the East and feel that the championship is "tainted"... bah! Even with KG, they've shown more cracks than Cleveland have... the terrible run in the middle of the season, first round of last year's playoffs etc... Severe injury woes are the only way cavs won't win the East...

and I agree with charass... Derrick Rose was RIDICULOUS in that game, man oh man! and no one is stopping the Lakers in the west...

goddamn I wish I put money on the Cavs when they were at $10 near the start of the season.... or even when they were at 6 or 7 for a lot of it.... buit i never had the cash to justify it and now they are at 3 or something...

Ice Cube

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:02 am 

I'm not so sure on LA going all the way...you may be right but I think the only team I would be almost certain of going to the championship would be Cleveland. LA look beatable and the west is a much more competitive conference with plenty of red hot teams.

You are right though charass, there were some GREAT upsets on the weekend. That Philly win was brilliant. From 20 or 18 down? Also, Chicago over the Celtics, but to be honest you gave them a real scare in game two too! Last minute dagger swiped another OT from you, but dude, the Celtics time is nearly up and I am SO glad! Go get 'em in Chi-town!

Regarding Portland, Oden will come into his own, no doubt. But right now they have to get past the Rockets. Game two is huge. They don't want to head to Texas two games down. Yao Ming is a beast, Oden is the obvious choice to cover him but what if they played Aldridge on Ming? No, Aldridge wouldn't be able to contain Ming but neither would Yao be able to contain Aldridge. That game plan may also drag people off the Blazers three-point shooters, which would leave the Rockets vulnerable. Risky, but it could be worth it. I'm sure they will go with the safe call though.

Like I said, it is early days in a best of seven match-up.

"Not You", where are you from? Why the Spurs dominance on your tv?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:13 am 

I'm from Australia. I have no idea why!

I don't think oden on ming would work.... Ming is a GREAT foul shooter, and Greg Oden has basically set a new precedent for frequent fouling this season... I'm sure he'll get better at that in the future, but yeah... and Yao is harder to guard than most centers... I think they should use oden on him in spurts perhaps, but maybe what you say with Aldridge is true also... hmm

Ice Cube

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:08 pm 

shiva's headband wrote:
mbbcfc wrote:
Its netball for boys....

Big boys.

From what I understand both sports were invented in USA. Basketball came first, netball shortly after as a girls alternative (back then girls were not allowed to play basketball or baseball thus, netball and softball). Netball eventually spread throughout British colonies but less popular here. Probably because women's basketball eventually took off in the States.

Nevertheless, basketball is a great game and it's become one of the world's most popular sports. More and more Europeans are getting signed to NBA teams. Spain has a great national team!

I was only teasing, Shiva... :lol:

I must admit I don't get basketball at all. Its better than cricket, though!!! Those buggers play for five days, get different scores, then call the game a draw!!??

BLACK KNIGHT: Just a flesh wound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:10 pm 

mbbcfc wrote:

I must admit I don't get basketball at all.

What's not to get?

I could understand not liking it or whatever, much as I love it, but it is fairly straightforward, especially compared to ridiculousness like yr crcket example :D

Ice Cube

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:23 pm 

yeah, yao is a beast and he's another guy that's finding his game right about now. it's too bad that when mcgrady was killin it in houston, yao wasn't ready yet. alridge might be better than oden, but yao is definitely a mismatch for anyone guarding him. that's what makes him dangerous. i say let yao get his and shut down the rest of the rockets.

i agree that the lakers are beatable and that the west is much more competitive than the east. but if anyone can, it would have to be the spurs (sorry, not you!). the way they played last night, they might be boring to watch, but they're like the jazz of the 90s. just some fundamental smart ball that wins games. i never count the spurs out.

man, can you believe that fuckin shot by ray allen last night? it was a great shot, but that guy's been streaky as hell lately, and then he shows up to make the big shot?! shit. at least we made them sweat. i would be thrilled if chicago did nothing more than knock out boston and lost in the next round. they've already exceeded our expectations, so everything is gravy from here on out. but this is turning into the best series of the first round.

not you, regarding shawn kemp, if you have 13 illegitimate kids and you had to pay child support for each one of them, it might be cheaper and easier just to quit your job. just sayin, yo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:35 am 

Yeah, good shot by Ray Allen. He is the only Celtic I have time for. KG irritates the hell out of me.

I actually think Denver ("THUGgets") are more poised at ruining LA's championship run than San Antonio. Maybe I say that because Portland won the SA series and really destroyed the Spurs in one game. If Portland win their series with Houston then they too willl be dangerous because LA struggle playing up in Portland. BUT, I am realistic and know that its a long shot for the Blazers to go all the way this year. They are the youngest team in the playoffs. They will only continue to get better. There may soon be a Blazer dominance in the west.

It's halftime in Portland and a very different game than game one. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:58 am 

YES!

Tightly contested game but our boy Roy put together an awesome performance to tie the series. Aldridge too had a great game. They still have to stop Brooks though...that guy is incredible. Von Wafer too is a bit worrisome (21 points off the bench). Will the refs ever call Ming to foul out? The guy gets away with murder while Oden is called for the simplest things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:45 am 

Yao gets shit on by Refs more than anyone in the entire league in general though, so fair or not, I say he deserves some non-calls! and Greg Oden has no problem getting 4 or 5 fouls in 13 minutes most games whether the calls are fair or not, so....

Some of the shit Yao has been called for over the years has been ridiculous, including the worst call ive ever seen in sports history, where dwight howard literally grabbed a standing still Yao, threw him to the ground, and Yao got called for a foul... I've seen lots of rockets game and shit like that happens to him all the time!

here is the call in question... absolutely AMAZING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd0w-N_Ryic

Ice Cube

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Contact Us | All times are UTC