The Committee to Keep Music Evil Forum

CTKME Forum

It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:41 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Committee to Keep Music Evil's online forum!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: BJM 2016 tour reports
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:59 am 

9 March 2016 – Berlin, Bassy Club

This was a treat – a 3 and a quarter hour show, almost 30 songs, in a small venue. That club holds 500, but you can stand right up against the stage so it feels much smaller – there were a couple of times I ducked when the headstock of Ryan’s guitar got a bit close. There were 9 people on stage at one point, even though it seemed difficult to fit 7 sometimes. The stage was triangular and Collin was right in the far corner, almost behind Dan, and he couldn’t forward for the “WOOH”s and “AAAAaaaAAAH”s he normally does.

Yes, it was rough round the edges and Anton did occasionally get frustrated. “Leave It Alone”, “Goodbye Butterfly”, “Here Comes Waiting for the Sun” and “Days, Weeks & Moths” all had multiple restarts and “David Bowie” had some discussion and demonstrating of guitar parts at the end. A couple of songs (“Prozac”, “Days…” and “Open Heart Surgery”) seemed to end early and there were a few hiccups, many of which Anton called out. For instance, he stopped Goodbye Butterfly and told Dan he was playing the wrong song. I think he might have been right – Dan had stopped drumming for a few bars so he may have confused it with “Vat Hande Met Dem?” Anton seemed most frustrated with “Here Comes Waiting for the Sun” – he stopped that one fairly late one, though it was defused by Joel continuing to play the tambourine part, as if the song was still going, all the way through Anton’s comments to the other band members on it.

And there was a NEW SONG, though it sounded a little like a work in progress.

We had some guests too. Tess Parks and Miss Katy sang on “Pish” and Tess Parks sang “Anemone” (though Anton and her alternated the “now that you’re not around”s at the end). Christof played mandolin on one song.

And it was a lovely happy, mostly patient crowd. Even with the stops and starts, the band seemed okay – Rob apologized for the “kinks” in Here Comes Waiting for the Sun, which led to a minute or so of him and Ricky singing Kinks songs together, Ricky was happily chatting to audience members throughout, someone was throwing flowers onto the stage.

At one point, Anton announced that his hip-hop name would be “Old Money”, because his sideburns make him look like the old guy on bank notes. And yes, the Bob Dylan joke is still running….

High points: Pish and She’s Gone, obviously.

Low point: Past midnight, with time for one more song, Anton said “Oh, we meant to play…” and mentioned a song I haven’t heard them play live before, and there was some debate before they decided to play “She’s Gone”. So now I know there’s a song in the touring repertoire I haven’t heard. Darn.

Most surprising bit: Anton put a lot of distortion on at the end of Servo. Ricky was joking it was the AC/DC version.

Line up & guests:

Anton Newcombe: guitar/vocals;
Joel Gion: percussion/vocals;
Ricky Maymi: guitar;
Ryan van Kriedt: guitar/vocals;
Rob Campanella: moog/mellotron/guitar/tambourine/vocals;
Dan Allaire: drums;
Collin Hegna: bass;
Tess Parks: vocals on Anemone and Pish
Miss Katy: vocals on Pish
Christof Certik: mandolin on Devil May Care

Setlist:

Never, Ever
Pish
Stairway to the Best Party
Government Beard
Leave It Alone
Lantern
Goodbye Butterfly
Anemone (sung by Tess Parks)
Telegram
Whoever You Are
Here Comes Waiting for the Sun
Jennifer
Prozac v Heroin
Down (which went straight into…)
When Jokers Attack
Days, Weeks & Moths
Who?
Sailor
Open Heart Surgery
Servo
That Girl Suicide
Wisdom
You Have Been Disconnected
David Bowie I Love You
What You Isn’t
Devil May Care
Vat Hande Met Dem?
Going to Hell
She’s Gone

3hr 15m

Post subject: Re: BJM 2016 tour reports
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:01 pm 

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:00 pm 

Anton really made a few mistakes this time too and he seemed nervous. He lighted some camels only for pulling one time and then started playing and ranted "Ryan, you are playing wrong" several times
He did not hit the solo of " Days, Weeks..." like he did in Glastonbury, which was really a good one. The intro of " Days," was also wrong started from Anton, so Ryan said "Stay on G" which was the right tipp.
Joel and Ryan seemed heavily jetlagged ;-)
It was a really good show which i will always keep in my mind and i wonder how patient they all still are in keeping a good mood during Antons attacks, which were completely wrong in some moments.

j.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:03 pm 

Great comments. I am completely at fault for not communicating more here in this forum except the BJM tours. Gia is the glue that keeps me comin back (although, certainly, no one needs my comments). I am struck by the recurring theme that the band makes various mistakes. I can't help but suggest that, mostly, is on Anton as he, I believe, is the reason the band only plays together when they go on tour (certainly they don't live close by each other as well, so how could they?). How could one expect a new member, like Ryan, to learn the complete catalog of songs the same way Anton knows the songs if they don't meet, regularly, to practice? And, how could the band be expected to be flawless when they only meet days before a given first performance?

I am so out of touch with the exact schedule that I didn't even know that Rob and Christof were leaving for Berlin last Sunday. I, along with The Hypnotic Bridge, were leaving on Saturday night to go see Robyn Hitchcock at a very small bar. I, suddenly, noticed that I had purchased two tickets (I sometimes do with the intent of asking a friend to attend at a later date). Our path to the venue goes directly by Committee Headquarters, so I called Rob and asked if he wanted to go. He laughed and said that he was leaving in the morning, and that he, and Christof, would be packing most of the night through. Sooo my extra ticket went unused.

On another note about the RH show. My friend and I were sitting at a very small, round table directly front-row, stage-center. There was another couple sitting to my left, the male of the couple directly at my left shoulder. The male seemed quiet. Suddenly, about half-way through the show, the male began to lean, very slowly, to his right. Well, he ended up passed-out (not in an alcohol way either) directly in my lap. He was able to get up, with help, and the paramedics carted him off. RH didn't skip a beat.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:02 am 

Was gutted to miss this and as ever a big thanks to gia for the review and pics.

Californian brewery legends Stone have set up an out post in Berlin I could have killed two birds and all that...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:51 am 

And of course gm is correct about the time they get together as a band and remember Frankie was in the band for 15 years or so that's a lot of tour time under the belt. Jonestown gigs have always been unique and organic never quite now what you are going to get and that has to be one of the reasons we keep going back.

Gm that passed out fella sounds pretty freaky!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:55 am 

12/3/16, Manchester Cosmosis Festival

I'm not keen on crowds, let alone festivals, so after standing in a room listening to what I hoped was Wire (wasn't sure whether I was at the right stage, couldn't see them and not familiar with their recent stuff, but it sounded like Wire), and not being able to get far enough into the room Holy Wave played in to avoid the sounds from other stages, I decided to find an uncrowded spot to watch the bands on the Air stage while waiting for the BJM.

The Air stage room was gigantic. The place where I was standing wasn't quite in the room - there was a balcony inside for VIP ticket holders, then in the bar behind that plebs like me could stand. And so that might be why it didn't sound great. Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats sounded fine, but the Raveonettes didn't (muddy bass and drums) and the BJM didn't either, really, from where I was.

They played ok - still some glitches but no discussions or stoppages. Quite brisk really. Compared with Berlin, we had half the number of songs in a little over one third of the time.

I just didn't get into it. Partly down to the sound, partly down to being in a bar with people shouting conversation over the music. I couldn't really see them either. There were oil lamp type projections over the stage, so everyone was in silhouette except Dan, but it did look good.

Ricky seemed to be punching the air at the end of the set, so he must have enjoyed it.

High point: She's Gone - it's the only song that really transported me today, though Devil May Care did a bit too. Anemone was also fun since everybody seemed to be singing along.

Something odd: There was crowdsurfing during Servo. Servo?!

Guests:
Tess Parks - vocals on Pish and Anemone
Christof - mandolin on Devil May Care

Setlist: Not 100% sure where the new song fell but if this isn't right, it's damn close

Never, Ever
Whatever Hippie *****
Who?
Pish
Leave It Alone
Prozac v Heroin
Anemone (sung by Tess Parks)
Goodbye Butterfly
Days, Weeks & Moths
Government Beard
Here Comes Waiting for the Sun
When Jokers Attack
Devil May Care
Servo
She's Gone

1hr 15m

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:22 am 

I just don't get festivals like this for all the reasons you describe the only festival I've ever been to was Glastonbury in the late 1980's where to be fair I can count the bands I saw on one hand so not a good advert for live music at festivals. I do see their importance of getting bands to play and always hope on the back a little tour will happen, Holy Wave played in Leeds the night before.

Crowd surfing seems a Manchester thing at Jonestown gigs, the last few times I've seen them it's got pretty tasty down the front more like a thrash punk gig than the floating textured layers swirling psychedelically around in my head... I do wonder what groove they tune into certainly not one I hear.

So Gia any hints for the year to come, US tour next then back for a London date....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:07 pm 

Well, I guess it's not much weirder than the girls in Berlin last week dancing merrily along to... Open Heart Surgery. I've seen people moshing to Nevertheless in the past too.

I don't have any inside info. I suspect we're in for a Europe tour with a decent run of UK dates though. I do hope so!

Complete daydream/speculation but... I do wonder about some or all of bunch of psych festivals in September (starting with Reverence Valada), but that would be a very long tour.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:45 pm 

The view from the balcony behind the balcony (with zoom)....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:11 am 

My view from the front rail, right hand side where BJM sounded pretty damn good to me!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:12 am 

You can find the rest of my pics from Manchester Cosmosis here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... f722317750

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:14 am 

And this is how Anenome looked and sounded from where I was stood...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:12 pm 

Those photos are excellent!

I suspected that I just didn't get into it. The sound was definitely worse further away (echoey, distorted - I thought the same of the Raveonettes set too). I'm glad it was a better show close up.

My experience of Anemone was... If you can imagine being much further away, with a bloke next to you pointing at Tess and yelling at his female friend "that's the girl I was telling you about", the female saying "where?", him saying "there", her saying "where?" etc. etc. and then them starting a conversation about something else over the top of it, then that's close.

I do remember thinking that Anemone was damn perfect until the lead guitar part went a bit awry for a moment. I think some of the words went missing too. But that's all splitting hairs...

I see a demo of "Government Beard" is up on YouTube, so I was wrong about that being a work in progress too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:58 pm 

I do love the psychedelic back drop, all the gigs I've seen I can't remember seeing a light show but maybe they did in the 1990's back in California or maybe Anton always wanted it all about the music.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Contact Us | All times are UTC