The Committee to Keep Music Evil Forum

CTKME Forum

It is currently Mon May 01, 2017 4:16 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Committee to Keep Music Evil's online forum!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Musicians: does BJM influenced your gear purchases?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:05 am 

cheesus wrote:
Anyone got a good reccomendation towards a 60's garage-esque fuzz...

Fuzz God II by Red Witch. Analog circuitry for vintage tones but can be set from very clear to downright low fi via the Sputter Control (which allows you to alter the bias on the relevant transistor). Also has a wild octave feature that can be a challenge to master, but the fuzz is the main attraction for me. The pedal is pretty flexible but easy to dial in.

Hmmm...I just checked the price on Musicians Friend and it is $250US, which is a $50US increase since my purchase. So it is a bit pricey.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:24 am 

argh 12stringDreams ! we still all wait for pictures of your guitars ;-) sorry, it's the last time I ask for it ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:01 pm 

sploshette wrote:
argh 12stringDreams ! we still all wait for pictures of your guitars ;-) sorry, it's the last time I ask for it ;-)

:D :oops: :D I knew this was coming when I posted. I almost added a preemptive hello to you at the end of my post :twisted:

Pics will be coming eventually -- I finally picked up a 12 string I have been chasing forever: a Gibson 335. I should have time for the pics this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:09 pm 

12stringDreams wrote:
sploshette wrote:

:D :oops: :D I knew this was coming when I posted. I almost added a preemptive hello to you at the end of my post :twisted:

Pics will be coming eventually -- I finally picked up a 12 string I have been chasing forever: a Gibson 335. I should have time for the pics this weekend.

nice :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:08 am 

12stringDreams wrote:
cheesus wrote:
Anyone got a good reccomendation towards a 60's garage-esque fuzz...

Fuzz God II by Red Witch. Analog circuitry for vintage tones but can be set from very clear to downright low fi via the Sputter Control (which allows you to alter the bias on the relevant transistor). Also has a wild octave feature that can be a challenge to master, but the fuzz is the main attraction for me. The pedal is pretty flexible but easy to dial in.

Hmmm...I just checked the price on Musicians Friend and it is $250US, which is a $50US increase since my purchase. So it is a bit pricey.

I tried one of these recently and it was pretty good but had one of the worst bypass I have ever heard. It pretty much sounded like a Zvex Fuzz Factory which I believe is the original sputtery velcro madness fuzz. These fuzzes are great studio tools imo but are hard to tame live...

with that said I recommend taking a look at the Analogman peppermint fuzz, the MidFi Psych Byke, the Throbak Stone Bender, the VintageFx Fuzz Riot.... if you aren't looking for an expensive boutique option the Danelectro Cool cat Fuzz is excellent and cost me 19 bucks. It's a copy of Frantone peach fuzz which costs 10-20x more.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:29 pm 

sploshette wrote:

I have edited this post to add a few more images. I can edit it again to remove the images if it is too long or I can add a few more images of my remaining 12-strings.

The Baldwin in front of my old Silvertone twin reverb clone and a Orange 40th Anniversary (the production model not the Custom Shop -- it is one of my favorite amps. Great retro tones).

Most forum members will be familiar with the next two guitars:

The next guitar is best-playing guitar of the bunch. I not a fan of the gold hardware and trim but the sound is great and the ebony fingerboard is a joy. It is a Gretsch 6122-12 Country Classic.

Last edited by 12stringDreams on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:32 pm 

DrawingAMandala wrote:
I tried one of these recently and it was pretty good but had one of the worst bypass I have ever heard. It pretty much sounded like a Zvex Fuzz Factory which I believe is the original sputtery velcro madness fuzz. These fuzzes are great studio tools imo but are hard to tame live...

I haven't noticed any bypass issues. You may get noise from the "Lightning Bolts" if it is engaged even if the pedal is bypassed. The Lightning Bolts mode is just plain wild and hard to use. I never bother with it so it stays off for me.

The bias adjustment is kind of interactive with other settings so it is not set and forget, but it is my favorite feature of the pedal.

What did you think of the psychbyke?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:56 pm 

Just bumping this since the edit did not...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:42 pm 

12stringDreams wrote:
DrawingAMandala wrote:

I haven't noticed any bypass issues. You may get noise from the "Lightning Bolts" if it is engaged even if the pedal is bypassed. The Lightning Bolts mode is just plain wild and hard to use. I never bother with it so it stays off for me.

The bias adjustment is kind of interactive with other settings so it is not set and forget, but it is my favorite feature of the pedal.

What did you think of the psychbyke?

The psych byke is excellent... my only complaint is that the volume knob is too close to the on/off switch and the thing has TONS of volume on tap so if you aren't careful when switching it on it often comes in super loud or super quiet as your foot accidently moves the knob. Otherwise it does a great 60's biker/spaghetti western but not really quite like a mosrite or a superfuzz, it's a little smoother and with more sustain than those. It does get sputtery if you roll the volume back on your guitar so you certainly can do some of the velcro stuff with this too. I normally use the psych byke for leads only and will use an overdrive for light gain rhythm stuff and a Boss HM-2 (this is actually my favorite drive pedal and I highly recommend it) for high gain rhythm. You can hear most of this shit being used on my old band's myspace if you want to know how it really sounds http://www.myspace.com/stelliumband .. check the end of Shotgun Alley, Grey Sky and Soul Damage for the best examples, don't know about the others.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:27 pm 

DrawingAMandala wrote:
...You can hear most of this shit being used on my old band's myspace if you want to know how it really sounds http://www.myspace.com/stelliumband .. check the end of Shotgun Alley, Grey Sky and Soul Damage for the best examples, don't know about the others.

Very nice stuff. Is that the psychbyke on the melody line running through Soul Damage? What are you using for dirt and echo starting at about the 2:15 point on Grey Sky?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:25 pm 

12stringDreams wrote:
DrawingAMandala wrote:
...You can hear most of this shit being used on my old band's myspace if you want to know how it really sounds http://www.myspace.com/stelliumband .. check the end of Shotgun Alley, Grey Sky and Soul Damage for the best examples, don't know about the others.

Very nice stuff. Is that the psychbyke on the melody line running through Soul Damage? What are you using for dirt and echo starting at about the 2:15 point on Grey Sky?

yea the melody line in Soul Damage is the psych byke>Boss DM-3>DOD Enveloppe filter>Twin Reverb. The thing in Grey sky is psych byke>tubescreamer>DM-3>Danelectro Forward-Reverse delay>some kind of Vox AC-30 clone.. I forget the exact model, wasn't my amp.

The guitars we used were a vintage reissue 62 tele and a 68 Harmony H-78 for electrics and a late 70s Ovation Matrix and a 67 Vox Eko Ranger 12 for the acoustics.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:33 am 

DrawingAMandala wrote:
yea the melody line in Soul Damage is the psych byke>Boss DM-3>DOD Enveloppe filter>Twin Reverb. The thing in Grey sky is psych byke>tubescreamer>DM-3>Danelectro Forward-Reverse delay>some kind of Vox AC-30 clone.. I forget the exact model, wasn't my amp.

The guitars we used were a vintage reissue 62 tele and a 68 Harmony H-78 for electrics and a late 70s Ovation Matrix and a 67 Vox Eko Ranger 12 for the acoustics.

Thanks for the info on the signal chain. The envelope filter on Soul Damage is a nice touch.

You mentioned that the work is from your old band -- you have anything new going on?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:37 pm 

Slightly blurred pic, but I just got this Vox Phantom 12 string, its been restored, its a gem.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:00 pm 

okay gearheads -- anyone able to identify most of these guitars (two pages-- scroll down)?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:03 pm 

I spotted a Vox Cheetah and a couple of Vox Teardrops in the above pic. Beautiful guitars.
Here is a pic I ratched out, live shot of my 1965 Vox Lynx. Pretty tricky to play but unique tone:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Contact Us | All times are UTC