The Committee to Keep Music Evil Forum

CTKME Forum

It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:45 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Committee to Keep Music Evil's online forum!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Musicians: does BJM influenced your gear purchases?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:34 am 

Fuck me. All those guitars and not one single ES335 or Tele ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:54 pm 

Nice photos. I'm just a wanna-be guitar player. Bought an acoustic and began about a year-and-a-half ago. Difficult instrument to learn - frustrating as hell actually. I promissed myself that I wouldn't spend the money on an electric until I'm sure that I can play...Doesn't look like I'll be getting an electric guitar any time soon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:49 am 

I'm a photographer, but I did buy a tambourine, for sure because of the BJM.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:24 pm 

Hey good point Notna. Who would have thought that something most of us played-around with as a kid would be such a significant part of good music. I should have saved money and just bought a tambourine...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:43 pm 

12stringDreams wrote:
DrawingAMandala wrote:
yea the melody line in Soul Damage is the psych byke>Boss DM-3>DOD Enveloppe filter>Twin Reverb. The thing in Grey sky is psych byke>tubescreamer>DM-3>Danelectro Forward-Reverse delay>some kind of Vox AC-30 clone.. I forget the exact model, wasn't my amp.

The guitars we used were a vintage reissue 62 tele and a 68 Harmony H-78 for electrics and a late 70s Ovation Matrix and a 67 Vox Eko Ranger 12 for the acoustics.

Thanks for the info on the signal chain. The envelope filter on Soul Damage is a nice touch.

You mentioned that the work is from your old band -- you have anything new going on?

Yea bringing back my old band the Orange Drop... with a new lineup, who are definitely the best musicians I've ever played with.

Last edited by DrawingAMandala on Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:20 pm 

DrawingAMandala wrote:
12stringDreams wrote:
DrawingAMandala wrote:
yea the melody line in Soul Damage is the psych byke>Boss DM-3>DOD Enveloppe filter>Twin Reverb. The thing in Grey sky is psych byke>tubescreamer>DM-3>Danelectro Forward-Reverse delay>some kind of Vox AC-30 clone.. I forget the exact model, wasn't my amp.

The guitars we used were a vintage reissue 62 tele and a 68 Harmony H-78 for electrics and a late 70s Ovation Matrix and a 67 Vox Eko Ranger 12 for the acoustics.

Thanks for the info on the signal chain. The envelope filter on Soul Damage is a nice touch.

You mentioned that the work is from your old band -- you have anything new going on?

Yea bringing back my old band the Orange Drop... with a new lineup, who are definitely the best musicians I've ever played with. http://www.myspace.com/theorangedrop although most of the stuff on there is old. New album is being recorded... we are excited about this one it's based around the theme of "go fuck yourself", LOL, no joke though that's what's happening.

Contraversial!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:13 am 

Just came home with a Twin Reverb 65Reissue. At first I felt a bit dissapointed considering it wasn't cheap, couldn't get a nice clean bright 60's tone I was after but after playing around with knobs for several hours and hitting that bright switch I think I finally nailed something half way there. Absolutely thrilled with it.

I currently also have a Blues Junior which I don't think I'd ever part with and a Hot Rod Deluxe. At first I was even considering selling the Twin already as it's heavy as tank but I'll think I'll just man up and get some casters installed and get rid of the Hot Rod. It takes pedals so well, I've never heard my fuzz face sound as good as it does through the Twin, it's a completely new pedal. Reverb is great too, I generally dial it in around 6-8 for the BJM Psych tone. Currently set it up with the bright switch on, treble around 6-7, mids and bass fairly low..around 2-3.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:01 am 

Hope I'm not asking something stupid but any recorded stuff to listen to cheesus?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:17 am 

Not stupid at all. Havn't got anything on the comp atm, not playing with anyone atm and it's awfully loud recording anything in my home. Way to loud for domestic purposes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:11 pm 

Well, pls be sure to let us know when/if there is something to listen to - loud or not :-)

I still can't afford to buy a shitty $1,000 Fender. I guess you have some (good) vintage guitars. I'm still lookin' forward to the day that I bring my first electirc home and can actually play, and sing, something with others. What a cool thing...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:51 am 

Just got The Use of This Guitar Called an Elliott, Looks like a Howard Roberts Gibson,
fucking no serials, no markings, I have no idea where it's from.
The electrics are Rubbish as are the Pickups. But **** it gives a nice Bjm Tone,
Kinda like Frankies Live Tone. I'm Running through a Vox Valvetronix (i know, fucking gay)
But The Black 2x10 is really good and they have a nice reverb. ontop of This I run a Route 66
(one of the old ones, metal case) & Will Hopefully have myself a Dl4 soon.

can anyone recomend a decent trem unit i could buy from the states, I live in nz but won't buy guitar **** here anymore,
we don't get anything fucking good atall and prices are through the fucking roof.

Also anyone have any recomedations on good countrys to find Vox/eko stuff in besides america? My friend John has an ultra sonic
and I recorded my Last e.p with it...fucking wow, the distortion on those things are amazing, this is Johns Guitar, with a very stoned me holding it...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:03 pm 

I thought I would bring this thread back from the dead.... just saw them in Philly and tried to take notice of what Anton was using. I believe he just had a Boss SD-1 Overdrive and a Vox distortion pedal (the chrome looking one)... Also the Twin Reverb he was using had the bright switch on, which I always wondered about. I don't think Matt Hollywood was using any pedals and I didn't get to see the other side of the stage where Frankie and Ricky were standing but I definitely heard a big **** in there a few times.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:31 pm 

I'll post more about what I saw gear-wise later when I'm not at work :D

But here's a pic of Anton's array of pedals:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:08 am 

Some pictures of my gear from recording in my living room last month...

Strat XII, amalgamated Strat (made of various parts from '67 to '95, '64 Jazzmaster, Vox Cheetah, mid-60s electric bouzouki, Super Continental, Roland JV-70, and a Farfisa Compact peeking out on the right:

Pedals (a lot more not in this photo too), '75 Telecaster (main recording guitar), mid-80s J-bass

Amps used were an AC30 (mid-90s Korg version), '62 Ampeg Reverb-O-Rocket II

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:36 am 

Hey, was just browsing instruments on Craigslist and came across a 355 like Frankie plays, in case anyone is interested:
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/msg/1932683006.html
Its vintage; but the price is more like a re-issue price.

There's a pretty Mark XII on Ebay right now too:
http://cgi.ebay.com/VOX-MARK-XII-12-STR ... 500wt_1154

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Contact Us | All times are UTC