The Committee to Keep Music Evil Forum

CTKME Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:42 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Committee to Keep Music Evil's online forum!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Musicians: does BJM influenced your gear purchases?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:39 am 

I'll go first...

Yes I have tried to capture the BJM sound. I have purchased a 12-string Phantom reissue guitar, a vintage Fender Twin Reverb, a gibson semihollow, and a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue. All in an attempt to get closer to some of the tomes I hear in the BJM catalog.

So maybe I'll post a few pix tomorrow. Its always better with images. It's a bit late right now though. So I am heading to bed soon.

I just wanted to get something out to the board to keep momentum up. Seems like the forum has been picking up momentum over the early cource of the tour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:55 am 

i just want to know how to get that tone off the lead guitar on "wisdom" and i would be happy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:59 am 

Dom is DEAD wrote:
i just want to know how to get that tone off the lead guitar on "wisdom" and i would be happy

True that. There are several songs where I'd just be happy to capture their drive tone. Something tells me earsplitting volume is involved in some cases.

Post subject: Re: Musicians: does BJM influenced your gear purchases?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:41 am 

12stringDreams wrote:
I'll go first...

Yes I have tried to capture the BJM sound. I have purchased a 12-string Phantom reissue guitar, a vintage Fender Twin Reverb, a gibson semihollow, and a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue. All in an attempt to get closer to some of the tomes I hear in the BJM catalog.

So maybe I'll post a few pix tomorrow. Its always better with images. It's a bit late right now though. So I am heading to bed soon.

I just wanted to get something out to the board to keep momentum up. Seems like the forum has been picking up momentum over the early cource of the tour.

You've got some fukn sweet gear mate! I'm jealous! :?
I'm a bassist and have been trying to perfect the Matt Hollywood bass sound for a while now........He has fantastic tone on some of the live recordings!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:42 am 

Definitely influenced by them and have a load of retro or retro inspired gear including a Vox Teardrop, Hofner Violin Bass and Gibson Semi Hollow and fender reverb. Also got a colorsound wah fuzz as used by Ricky. Still after a 12 string Vox Ultra sonic which gives the real deal. Here's a picof my teardrop.Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:44 pm 

i've played the vox guitars and they just don't suit the music i like to play, i'm happy as larry with my epiphone sheraton II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:00 pm 

Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming if you have more to say.

And thanks for the complements on my gear. I'm definitely not trying to show off...I just thought I'd try to contribute to the forum by starting a few threads.

Back to the gear. I'll try to get some pix up later today. I have always been into 12-string guitars so that was an interest before I became OCD over BJM. But I got the Phantom copy because I thought it looked great in the various old photos of Anton. I am glad I did because the neck/fretboard on it is so much better than the neck/fretboard on my Ric. I don't know how anyone gets a good clean chord out of a Ric. So the Phantom is about half the cost but so much better as players guitar (but the pickup are crap).

I'll post about the Fender amps later to bump this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:58 pm 

recently got me my fender twin reverb. savin up to buy es 335. been lookin for vox guitars on ebay. starstream, teardrop, phantom, cheetah but no luck. are these models all out of production?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:41 pm 

anman wrote:
recently got me my fender twin reverb. savin up to buy es 335. been lookin for vox guitars on ebay. starstream, teardrop, phantom, cheetah but no luck. are these models all out of production?

The Vox labeled guitars are out of production and it is hard to find a used one in good shape. Surprisingly, they were budget guitars when they were in production, which might explain their scarcity.

Anyway...I didn't feel like spending the coin on a used vintage version so I bought a reissue from the company that holds the trademarks to the familiar old Vox designs. Here's a link:

http://www.phantomguitars.com/

They were easy to deal with and I'm thinking of going for the teardrop. The build quality of the Phantom was good, not spectacular. The neck relief needs to be tweaked but I don't feel like unbolting the neck to get at it. The description said it had a roller nut but mine came with a machined aluminum nut. To be fair, I did order a custom headstock (to match the one on Anton's) so maybe that is why the nut was different.

I hope I'm not getting too long winded with and putting everyone to sleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:48 pm 

The Cheetah, Ultrasonic and Starstreamer dont come up for sale very often (not in the UK anyway). When they do, they are not cheap - around £3000 for a good Starstreamer. Recently Vox re issued the solid body teardop in a limited edition and these are still around. If you cant get a Vox the Phantoms are very good substitutes. Sadly they dont make any with the spec of the Ultra, Cheetah or Starstreamer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:57 pm 

thinking of getting hold of a vintage vox. is it a good idea or do they take too much care? going out of tune etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:21 pm 

anman wrote:
thinking of getting hold of a vintage vox. is it a good idea or do they take too much care? going out of tune etc.

A lot of old vox guitars...mainly the 12 strings, can be a bitch to tune. But it's not that bad...depends of course on the shape of the guitar overall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:41 pm 

yeh.. but i wanna real vox. not that phantom thing (no offence 12stringdreams:wink:
so guess im gonna have to live with that. maybe they can be fixed so they dont go out of tune.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:05 pm 

Theres a company called Brandoni Guitars which make guitars using original Vox parts left unused from the fectory. I'm not anything to do with the company so I'm not selling anything.
Here's their site. You get the original Vox but without the gremlins of the old ones.
http://www.brandoniguitars.co.uk/vox.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:44 pm 

looks good. do they ship? cant seem to find ordering details. can you even pay online?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Contact Us | All times are UTC