The Committee to Keep Music Evil Forum

CTKME Forum

It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 5:33 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Committee to Keep Music Evil's online forum!

Post subject: Re: New York....tips needed!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:07 pm 

MrsTeardrop wrote:
Check out any event hosted by our dear friend, Jonathan Toubin/New York Night Train. http://www.newyorknighttrain.com/about/.

Also, you might want to visit the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, where we used to live. I think all NYC musicians live there now ;-) Its a bit crowded these days and taken over by all types; but there are a few record shops and its still a better vibe than much of Manhattan. Take the L train one stop into Brooklyn and get off at Bedford Ave.

cool....i'll keep and eye out for that...ta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:52 pm 

Being a cool music fan, SKIP the usual tourists traps, please, do yourself a favor, you need to get to Williamsburg, BROOKLYN: take the L train from Manhattan & get off the first stop: Bedford Ave, puts you right in the middle of the most happening indie music & art scene anywhere on the planet. Tiny venues, where awesome bands play. Look for who is playing at Knitting Factory, 285 Kent Street, Monster Island Basement. Also has Music Hall of Williamsburg, the best place to see bands play. In Manhattan, go to the Lower East Side. Ludlow Street is where it's happening. You have Pianos, The Living Room, and Cake Shop all practically next to one another on Ludlow. These are all fantastic small places where you have both bar scenes and live music every night. Lafayette Street is also cool as ****. As for just hanging around during the day, go to Washington Square Park, go to Union Square Park, and go to SoHo & both Villages, Greenwich & East. In April, NYC is gorgeous, with trees blooming & flowers everywhere, but make it a point to see these parks. Unless you are really into touristy things like bus tours, Rockefeller Center, and Times Square, SKIP THAT CRAP & GET THE REAL NYC EXPERIENCE!!! Check this guy's web page: Todd P NYC. http://toddpnyc.com/ He plans events for people like US. You can email me at [email protected] if you want anymore details about these places.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:57 pm 

Cool. Sounds like Williamsburg is the place to go.....and the trees! sounds good even though i spend all day looking at 'em for my job, ha ha!
Yeah i've clocked the "Cake shop" also...
cheers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:04 am 

Spaceman G wrote:
Cool. Sounds like Williamsburg is the place to go.....and the trees! sounds good even though i spend all day looking at 'em for my job, ha ha!
Yeah i've clocked the "Cake shop" also...
cheers

Oh that's funny, sorry, I had not seen the post above mine who already told you to get to Williamsburg! Well it's by the water & it's great to be there as the sun sets over Manhattan, then get some dinner somewhere, then after 9 hit up Glasslands Gallery for some music & beers, or any of the other places we've mentioned in WB. And DEF do the Lower East Side of Manhattan for music & cool bars also. You might like to see the landmarks like the Statue, and the Empire State Bldg, but as a cool music fan, you need to see & hear the non-touristy stuff :-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:17 pm 

no need to apologise! Thanks for the great tips. I'm defo making a note of all this :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:01 pm 

Spaceman G wrote:
12stringDreams wrote:
4/08 - THE BLACK ANGELS - The Bowery Ballroom
4/09 - THE BLACK ANGELS - Music Hall of Williamsburg

i'm on to it!

If you go to the Williamsburg show I'll see you there! Suuns is opening, what a show that is gonna be, Suuns & The Black Angels. YAY!

And yes, see who is playing at The Knitting Factory while you are there, because it's a great venue: small with excellent lines of sight & sound!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:43 pm 

sparrow - the williamsburg gig....is it likely to sell out, or is there a good chance of paying on the door...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:51 pm 

Spaceman G wrote:
sparrow - the williamsburg gig....is it likely to sell out, or is there a good chance of paying on the door...

The Music Hall of Williamsburg is pretty small, so with The Black Angels playing, it may sell out. But I just ordered my ticket 2 days ago & easily got it, so it's not sold out YET. As for buying a ticket at the door, not so sure about that. If you go, look for me, I'll be right in the front (Suuns, the opening band, KILLS it, wanna be front center for them too) as close to center as possible, long wavy brown hair, small gal. Supposed to be meeting people there, but they don't really dig Suuns, so I may not be with them, haha.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:55 pm 

I think i'll play this by ear, dont get to NY until late afternoon on that saturday after an early start. If there are tickets still available and the missus isn't complaining about jet lag it should be a goer. BTW Sparrow have you heard of "Captured tracks" a cool record label which i think is based in Brooklyn. They have a wicked band called the Beach Fossils which i would love to see in some NY/Brooklyn dive.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:03 am 

Spaceman G wrote:
I think i'll play this by ear, dont get to NY until late afternoon on that saturday after an early start. If there are tickets still available and the missus isn't complaining about jet lag it should be a goer. BTW Sparrow have you heard of "Captured tracks" a cool record label which i think is based in Brooklyn. They have a wicked band called the Beach Fossils which i would love to see in some NY/Brooklyn dive.

YES indeed I know & adore Captured Tracks music, there is an endless amount of amazing bands on that label. Just bought Tim Cohen's 2 latest releases from them, and I have Beach Fossils latest EP but have yet to listen, I guess I should listen! They are based in NYC, yup, and I just checked , they DO have some tour dates coming up this year, perhaps you'll get lucky in April! Captured Tacks also has 2 huge faves of mine, garage rockers The Beets, and mysterious cold-wavers The Soft Moon. Oh so good!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:42 pm 

Cool! Yes i've heard the Beets before. I love that lo-fi DIY scratchy garage style. I will check out those other acts as well. Thanks! Also love Wild Nothing on the same label

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:30 am 

Spaceman G wrote:
Cool! Yes i've heard the Beets before. I love that lo-fi DIY scratchy garage style. I will check out those other acts as well. Thanks! Also love Wild Nothing on the same label

Oh I have meant to check out Wild Nothing, thanks for the reminder. Listened to that new Beach Fossils today, so great!! If you want The Beets' new album Stay Home (so good) here is my upload: http://www.mediafire.com/?9dri562c06psod9
Enjoy!! Oh and here is The Soft Moon's album: http://www.mediafire.com/?zahyt4hw04e93

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:07 pm 

APRIL 8, BEACH FOSSILS AT MUSIC HALL OF WILLIAMSBURG!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:02 pm 

TYPICAL! the one band that i really want to see are playing the day before we get there! :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:43 pm 

Oh no way!! That sucks, sorry. Well, check their dates some more, as your trip gets closer, maybe they'll do another date while you are here. You never know :-)

Contact Us | All times are UTC