The Committee to Keep Music Evil Forum

CTKME Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:37 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Committee to Keep Music Evil's online forum!

Post subject: New York....tips needed!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:15 pm 

After much farting about i finally booked a trip to New York in April with the Missus (Hurrah!)....never been before, in fact its my 1st trip to the US....anyone got any tips, i.e. cool clubs/bars/restaurants and anything worth seeing/doing which might be a bit different to the usual tourist stuff. Hopefully one or two decent gigs will take place while we're there also...
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: New York....tips needed!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:34 pm 

You have to walk around Times Square -- it's always crowded and busy anytime of the day. But don't eat there - very touristy and the waitstaff don't care. Cool stores/sites: Generation Records, Search and Destroy, Chelsea Market, HighLine, Midtown comics, Forbidden Planet. Go ahead and buy or check out a NYC travel book with street maps, buy a multiple day subway pass. There is so much to see and do. MrHello says that the Ravenettes are in NYC in April. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:18 pm 

Thanks! Yeah i noted the Ravonettes were playing in April, unfortunately we will have left a few days before they're on. Wire are also playing a few days before we get there....bummer! hopefully something else will turn up! Been flicking through the Time out guide to NY which seems pretty cool....it even mentions King Khan and Broadcast in there amongst others...you dont get that in the lonely planet! "The Cake shop" seems like a quirky little venue also...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:11 pm 

Dead Poet's on 450 Amsterdam Ave (between 81st St & 82nd St) is one of the better bars I visited. Staten Island Ferry is a must. Believe it or not Grenwich Village is still worth checking out. The beatniks have long gone but there's still some magic there. Parks and tall buildings (Empire or Rockefeller are your best bet) are worthwhile and the various uni campuses are impressive.

Have a great time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:56 pm 

cheers! i think we are staying near the Dead Poets so no doubt have a few bevvies in there

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:07 pm 

cool. also, if you're staying for more than a couple of days i highly recommend you get one of the passes for the subway. i got the week long one for about $20 and it's like having the keys to the city. it affords you so much freedom to be able to jump on and off the subway at a moments notice and it works out cheaper too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:54 pm 

defo. will be there for 5 nights so subway pass will be well worth it...i read they are $29 for the week.....bargain...just waiting for some good gigs to crop up!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:37 pm 

I'm so jealous Spaceman! Don't have much to offer in the way of recommendations, I've only been lucky enough to go New York once and me and my family did the standard stuff, Empire State, John Lennon memorial, Central Park, Union Square etc. but all that stuff is worth it. A friend of mine who went more recently did a walking Rock'N'Roll tour of New York, including some East Village spots where bands like New York Dolls and The Velvet Underground practised and lived and some of the old clubs, sounded pretty cool I guess. My only real recommendation if you hadn't already thought of it is to make a New York themed playlist to groove to while you're there!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:07 pm 

IPOD new york playlists...yes!... i was thinking the same! V Underground, Ramones, Television, Patti Smith, NY Dolls, Suicide, Silver Apples, Talking heads, sonic youth etc etc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:56 am 

If you want to see the real NYC make sure you get out of Manhattan and venture to Brooklyn and Queens. This is where most of the REAL people live. Sunnyside and Astoria Queens are excellent spots to experience true NYC living and dining. If you are more hip and artsy pop over to Williamsberg or Greenpoint in Brooklyn. But, if you are stuck to Manhattan make sure you go uptown past Central Park. Don't just sit in a taxi looking out at Harlem. Get out and experience it. Get some good soul food cooking. Chances are you wont experience such a thing in Rugby. While you are uptown continue north to the furthersy northwest point just before the Bronx and visit the Closters. This is a much forgotten treasure that is part of the Metropolitan Art Museum. Medieval European art in a quiet, sublime setting at the tip of the island.

In lower Manhattan the East Village has changed as has the west village/Greenwich but they still have elements that are decent. TriBeCa too is ok for some bars. Go to a good Jewish deli...Katz's is pretty phenomenal. Cafe Wha in Greenwich Village always offers a fun, soulful, funky night of food, drink and live music. The Knitting Factory is now in Brooklyn...when it was in TriBeCa it too was always a great spot to pop in and check out what's on. Might be worth looking into their website to see who is playing.

Enjoy and make of it what you want to get out of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:49 pm 

Cool. thanks for that. Yes i'm defo up for seeing the not so obvious places and yes it will be completely different to small town Rugby! ha ha. There's some good stuff on the Guardian website about Queens and Brooklyn etc..

Same with London, its good to get out of the tourist areas and head east/south east etc. Last week I went down and stayed in Peckham, with lots of cool roots reggae blasting out everywhere and weird and wonderful carribean fish shops.

The Art Museum sounds good, that'll keep the missis happy (art teacher).

Still looking out for gigs. Toro y moi is the only one to have popped up so far.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:32 am 

4/08 - THE BLACK ANGELS - The Bowery Ballroom
4/09 - THE BLACK ANGELS - Music Hall of Williamsburg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:50 am 

Pick up a copy of Village Voice or a free listings mag from a bar or cafe as soon as you can and scan the gigs. There'll be something on for sure you'll want to see.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:02 am 

Check out any event hosted by our dear friend, Jonathan Toubin/New York Night Train. http://www.newyorknighttrain.com/about/.

Also, you might want to visit the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, where we used to live. I think all NYC musicians live there now ;-) Its a bit crowded these days and taken over by all types; but there are a few record shops and its still a better vibe than much of Manhattan. Take the L train one stop into Brooklyn and get off at Bedford Ave.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:00 pm 

12stringDreams wrote:
4/08 - THE BLACK ANGELS - The Bowery Ballroom
4/09 - THE BLACK ANGELS - Music Hall of Williamsburg

i'm on to it!

Contact Us | All times are UTC