The Committee to Keep Music Evil Forum

CTKME Forum

It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 8:19 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Committee to Keep Music Evil's online forum!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: BJM 2016 tour reports
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:27 pm 

12/9/16, Tel Aviv, Barby with local support

There was an opening band but they had a Hebrew name I have no hope of reproducing. When I'd used the translation option on the Barby website, trying to work out which of the two door times was more likely to be the correct one, I saw it said something like "Spit Froth-Groin", Their first song sounded like how I'd guess a band called Spit Froth-Groin might sound (kind of Rage Against the Machine-like, three guys shouting in unison on top, although one had a big beard, was wearing shorts and playing tambourine) but then they went through a bewildering range of styles, with songs that reminded me of Stax, Merseybeat, Chris Isaak and, um, John Shuttleworth. It was very confusing. Anyway, I eventually asked someone what they were called and it translates to "The C**ts".

I was fairly tired from spending the day in Nazareth and around the Sea of Galilee and I didn't fancy standing so close to a band that might be called "Spit Froth-Groin", so I opted to stand back tonight, on a raised bit to the right. Someone in the crowd had told me that Barby is notorious for having terrible sound, so I figured it didn't matter. The place seemed about the same size as Concorde 2, but with the stage on one of the long sides and I had a view of everyone except Rob and Ricky.

Sound aside, it was a very good show, though there were only a couple of moments where I thought they were truly firing on every available cylinder. Anton was in good voice and in good spirits, musing between songs about one of his guitars being lost, human bones found in Benjamin Franklin's house, removal of skin cancers, the official procedure for deciding how modern words are rendered in Hebrew and whether Rob might be a member of the Illuminati, as well as querying why there were efforts to colonise Mars when the human race couldn't save one rhinoceros species. The whole thing ended with Joel smashing his tambourine to pieces during a blistering "Yeah-Yeah".

So yes, it wasn't the greatest BJM show I've ever seen but it was a blast. And probably the second longest set I've heard. Someone in the middle of the crowd videoed the whole thing on a camcorder, so maybe that recording will surface sometime.

High point:
Yeah-Yeah - shorter than usual but absolutely amazing.
David Bowie - because I had just been thinking that it would be a perfect choice at that point.

Low point:
They started "Just For Today", which I've never heard live, but Anton stopped it, apparently because he was being thrown off by Ryan, and threw in the towel.

Odd point:
Looking round at the end of "Here Comes Waiting for the Sun" and realising some guy a feet along was waving a bike saddle in the air along to the song with the lights flashing.
And while I really loved Jokers for the first time since the line-up change, I don't think I'll ever get used to how Nevertheless sounds now.

Setlist:

Never Ever
Vat Hande Met Dem?
Geezers
Who?
Whatever Hippie *****
Leave It Alone
That Girl Suicide
Government Beard
Here Comes Waiting for the Sun
Anemone
Groove is in the Heart
Down
When Jokers Attack
Sailor
Days, Weeks & Moths
Nevertheless
What You Isn't
The Devil May Care
Lantern
Jennifer
Servo
Open Heart Surgery
Wisdom
Pish
Telegram
Goodbye Butterfly
David Bowie
Going to Hell
Just For Today (aborted)
Yeah-Yeah

3h 20m

Phone photo:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:05 am 

Last round of photos for this tour.

Bologna.
I got some good photos of Anton and Collin but I kept hitting the shutter at the wrong moment, so they aren't flattering. Here's an ok one of Joel instead.

Reverence Valada.
This was fun.

ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Tel Aviv
Just one of Ryan.

I won't be at Desert Daze. Looking forward to hearing about it after the fact - it looks great.

It's also unlikely I'll get to the shows in South America. I'd love to be there, but it's a long way to go for a festival set. So, for now, over and out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:14 pm 

gia wrote:
It's also unlikely I'll get to the shows in South America. I'd love to be there, but it's a long way to go for a festival set.

C'mon Gia. Someone's gotta live the dream. Don't let us down.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:05 am 

robdoe wrote:
C'mon Gia. Someone's gotta live the dream. Don't let us down.

Ha ha ha. To be honest, I absolutely would go if I had enough days off. I always wanted to visit Ushuaia and the Iguassu Falls. Hopefully, there'll be another time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:05 am 

May 31, 2016
Day three of Teragram Ballroom

This was my 7th of 8 BJM shows I've seen (also saw June 2 in San Diego), and definitely the best and craziest yet. Holy ****.
Teragram Ballroom was a perfect venue for them. Anton talked more and was more animated than I've ever seen him at a show. I know he used to back in the day but most of the shows I've seen of them he's just standing there playing and singing, maybe says hi and bye, thank you, with hair in eyes and you could only see his face ever if you were on the stage left side of the crowd. Which was totally fine, as your their to listen anyhow...the last song played before they came on was that new David Bowie Blackstar, for like 8 minutes...so everyone was getting quite uneasy before **** happened...and before they played Anton came out and stuck his face out at everyone with one of his palms out, massive beads, massive chops, took some pictures of the crowd, and grabbed the mic and was like "ok ok ok ok so I was walking down this dirt road in Morocco and I met this wiseman" and my soul mate and I started laughing and he was like "shut up, it's not funny...so there I was walking down the street in Morrocco, I's walkin'...." and he went on a little about meeting a wiseman and the story went nowhere and was hilarious and they went into Never Ever. When they got to the instrumental parts of Geezers, the second song, I realized this was gonna be a way different BJM show than I'd seen before. I saw a tweet from him sometime before talking about "I feel bad that not everyone has realized that I usually face stage left at the shows and can't usually see me singing" or something like that. I'd gotten used to it, and was set up on that side of the stage. I didn't realize that he was joking, and was fixing to make eye contact with every single person that comes into the shows this time. He's looking at everybody, he's jumping around, he's waving his guitar around. I don't remember which song it was but at one point they're jamming and he's making feedback and such and then trades guitars and goes right back into making noise. I probably can't explain why it was so fucking hilarious to me at the time. Anton's telling stories, jokes, making fun of the Hollywood audience. At one point he said "you know if you go watch other psychedelic rock bands, you can't tell the difference between their roadies playing or them playing...like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club...you can't tell the difference between them and their roadies.....I'm sorry but you can't" He was fucking hilarious the whole night. He was asking if this taco place he used to go "every two weeks....**** man, once a fortnight" was still open. I don't know if they had the sound so well since they'd already played their twice, or just the shape of the place, or the LSD, or some combination those, but motherfuck if that wasn't the best sounding concert ever. It was the best concert I've ever been to. You could hear everything, super clear. Antons singing, strong and clear and during Here Comes the Waiting for the Sun the echoing vocals in chorus were bouncing all over the place. Antons guitar sounded like planes landing on the roof of the venue. It was crazy good. Before Anemone he was like "hey Mara, 'member when I wrote this song? We were like "let's make up a song..."" When they were done after three hoursish, we still weren't ready for it to be done.
Sidenote: I bought some tickets off Stubhub that turned out to be fakes...said Brain Jonestown Massacre, and had the wrong date and price, several misspellings...
Saw them two days later in San Diego...also amazing but very different...met Rickey beforehand at a coffee shop near the Belly Up. Nice dude. Asked him if he'd had fun on the 31st and he said not really, it's work etc. We were like "whoa" as it was mindbending. different setlist(usually its pretty much the same, so that was dope). Talking about the concert ticket charity thing he was doing for Oxfam etc. Anton explained what was going on and then was like "and I'm not doing this because I care about helping people, it's more about making organizations like the NFL or performers like Beyonce look/feel like idiot **** for not doing anything..."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:37 am 

well analyzed :-)

j.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Contact Us | All times are UTC