The Committee to Keep Music Evil Forum

CTKME Forum

It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:03 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Committee to Keep Music Evil's online forum!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:30 pm 

[quote="Dr Jimmy

[/quote] http://www.sendspace.com/file/a648rj

am surprised no one has downloaded the above.. is some good uk punkmusic on it...your choice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:40 pm 

Here`s my take on the Ramones,

They were and always will be a Brilliant band!! Whether they`re look became cartoonish later on in their career doesn`t matter to me.

A lot of people credit the Ramones as getting the Whole Punk movement started. Their first album kicked ass! " Beat on the brat, 53rd and 3rd, don`t want to go to the basement, Chainsaw" Amazing shit!!!

Also Johnny`s guitar work, non stop power chords creating a " wall of sound" was unheard of back then. In my opinion one of the best bands without a doubt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:12 pm 

shiva's headband wrote:
Nellcote, you do make some excellent points. I can't help but think ten-twelve years prior to Punk the UK was in a tissy about the then youth movement in the early/mid 60's. The Beatles were the least of their worries and the Rolling Stones were the poster children of their "rebellion" but it was The Pretty Things who were seen as true thugs and represented sheer terror on their "civilized isle". In fact, at the height of the Pretties fame (which, to be fair, they were never THAT famous)Parliament held special meetings about their concerns over rock and roll music, long hair and what it was doing to the future of the youth.

Then in '76 Punk came....and a new wave of rebellion swept the country and terrified the parents. People had forgotten about Keith Richards, Phil May and Viv Prince...now it was the snot nosed Pistols who represented their fear.

Today, the NME just loves to embellish all their "sordid rock tales" because they know that's what sells their shit paper. Wasn't (or isn't) The Sun the #1 selling newspaper in England? That says a lot!

Shame it's not the Guardian...(but then again, most Americans get their news from CNN and Fox so it's just as bad over here).

I dont get that point?

BLACK KNIGHT: Just a flesh wound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:26 am 

mbbcfc wrote:
[
I dont get that point?

The fact that the Sun is the best selling paper in Britain. It's tabloid news that embellishes crap. Same as the NME and their obsession with Docherty and Winehouse. People would clearly rather read crap or else the Guardian would be the best selling paper in the UK (or The Independent, which is another great paper).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:14 am 

shiva's headband wrote:
mbbcfc wrote:
[
I dont get that point?

The fact that the Sun is the best selling paper in Britain. It's tabloid news that embellishes crap. Same as the NME and their obsession with Docherty and Winehouse. People would clearly rather read crap or else the Guardian would be the best selling paper in the UK (or The Independent, which is another great paper).

Ah.. ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:37 am 

Kind of a 'loaded' question: top ten punk bands, but here goes...

top five proto punks
Q65
Stooges
MC5
New York Dolls
Television/Voidoids

top seven "over there"

Sex Pistols
Clash (early)
Buzzcocks (Spiral Scratch and Another Music From A Different Kitchen)
Damned (New Rose...)
Stiff Little Fingers (Inflammable, Nobody's hero)
X Ray Spex (O Bondage...)
Saints [Aussie](Stranded, know your product, no time)

top seven "over here"

Germs
Gun Club
Ramones
Bad Brains
Minor Threat
Agent Orange
Dead Boys

thing is...punk was about 'being local' (right?) do your own scene and all that, so top seven florida punk bands in the day

the eat
charlie pickett and the eggs (did a good version of slow death)
reactions (guitar player took time out during gig to whip out his dick and wrap rubber bands around it (safe sex!)...true art)
doldrums (excellent band)
crank (trully terrible and fun as shit)
roach motel
psycho daisies

Post subject: Re: top ten punk bands
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:13 am 

Early American Hardcore

I thought I remembered a punk thread here somewhere. I ended up seeing Spindrift the last time they rolled through town and somehow realized the person grooving to them right in front of me was Jello Biafra of the Dead Kennedys. (btw...he wished Spindrift was on his label) I told him that I had seen them play in '81 or '82 or so in an abandoned building in the midwest when I was in high school. He remembered the all ages show exactly, even recalled the lightning storm that night that almost cancelled the show and recognized the importance of bringing youth into the movement. This was a time when Reagan was in office and there was a notable conservative and nationalistic shift in American idealogy borne out of protectionism and fear.

Out of this shift emerged a small but vibrant and influential d.i.y. underground music scene that started on the coasts, quickly moved inland that rejected this group think mentality of just accepting what is put before you ("Think for yourself!") This was when hardly anybody I knew had cable, MTV was just getting started, disco was dead, CDs weren't even an idea yet and classic crap rock was all anybody ever heard or had access to.

This style of punk became faster, tighter, shorter and more aggressive. (Thrash) The style of dance was called "slam dancing" or "skanking" back then and became the precursor to what became known as "moshing."

DC harDCore

Bad Brains, "The Big Takeover" live 1982 at CBGB's (the original harDCore from D.C. along w/Minor Threat and Henry Rollins' S.O.A. when his last name was still Garfield) Dischord's '82 "Flex Your Head" compilation is mandatory .

Minor Threat live 1983 and the "Straight Edge" movement (a video is worth a million words)

This is Boston, Not LA

Mandatory and essential 1982 "This is Boston, Not LA" compilation. No 5 minute drum solos. 30 tracks in about 30 minutes. What more do you want?

This Freeze song is tongue in cheek nod to LA's scene.

"You dance the same and dress the same
Won't be long (till) you are the same
You look the same you act the same
There's nothing new and you're to blame

This is Boston, Not L.A.
This is Boston, **** L.A."

Midwest Hardcore

Die Kreuzen live in studio 1983. This is one of the bands that opened up for the Dead Kennedys that night. They were one of the fastest, tightest best live bands I've ever seen...of any genre. Arms and feet would fly everywhere the moment they came on. They evolved into a metal/punk sound in the mid/late 80s sound that would be copied years later by metal/grunge bands. Milwaukee's finest.

Mecht Mensch, "Acceptance" ep 1983 Madison East High School skaters along w/sister band, The Tar Babies. Produced by Butch Vig, who later went on to produce Nirvana's "Nevermind" along with Smashing Pumpkins' "Gish" and "Siamese Dream" (also drummer of Garbage) Long out of print, I heard it may be re-released in some form. (btw, lyric sheets are key) Classic midwest hardcore.

Too many bands, fanzines & records to mention. Confining this sector of punk to a single post is an insult, but you can get the idea of what a sliver of it was like back in its prime. This scene changed my life and way of thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:16 am 

Does post-punk count? I may have to start a new thread...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:39 am 

Nazi Punks **** Off!

Dead Kennedys live

"Punk ain't no religious cult
Punk means thinking for yourself
You ain't hardcore cos you spike your hair
When a jock still lives inside your head

Nazi punks
Nazi punks
Nazi punks-**** Off!

Nazi punks
Nazi punks
Nazi punks-**** Off!

If you've come to fight, get outa here
You ain't no better than the bouncers
We ain't trying to be police
When you ape the cops it ain't anarchy

[Repeat chorus]

Ten guys jump one, what a man
You fight each other, the police state wins
Stab your backs when you trash our halls
Trash a bank if you've got real balls

You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth Reich you'll be the first to go

[Repeat chorus]

You'll be the first to go

Unless you think"

Negative Approach, "Can't Tell No One" (Detroit, 1982)

"People try to tell me what they think is right for me
Think there's some value to what they got to say
But I won't listen to them I don't need their advice
I wouldn't ever have it any other fucking way
Can't tell no one
What to do
Can't tell no one
What to do
Can't tell no one
What to do
Can't tell no one what to do
Rules are made for idiots people that can't think
I'm treated like I don't have a mind of my own
Stupid fucking idiots with stupid fucking ideals
When will they ever fucking leave me alone"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:42 am 

Dunno whether all the count but in no particular order :-

Dead Kennedys
Discharge
Fugazi
Scratch Acid
Husker Du
Big Black
Early Damned (1st 3 albums)
Early Clash
Pistols of course
Crass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:23 pm 

Flux of Pink Indians!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:26 pm 

mbbcfc wrote:
Flux of Pink Indians!

Yeah, good call dude, i still have some on vinyl !!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:28 am 

Fear on SNL

I remembered watching Saturday Night Live during this Halloween night in 1981 when FEAR played. I couldn't believe that SNL would actually have FEAR on, as their "shtick" was tongue in cheek political incorrectness, and was amazed at what I saw on the tv screen in front of me. (remember, this is 1981) The next week at school, hardly anybody even talked about it. (perhaps they didn't know what to make of it) I loved it. It ultimately touched a nerve among the populace and provoked so much fear that it prompted a television episode of "Quincy, M.E." the next year where someone was "killed by punk rock" and the overriding message was "Punk rock kills." (for those old enough to remember) Yeah, it was an uphill battle for punk. America was not ready for FEAR. And definitely not for hardcore punk quite yet.

I've always wondered about it as I haven't heard much about it since, and have not seen any video footage on it. Until a year or so ago when a friend sent me a link to it...as that show was B-U-R-I-E-D by NBC. Never to be seen or talked about again. No replays. Nada. It was like it never happened.

But I remembered it did.

It turned out John Belushi was a big punk fan and was instrumental in bringing it onto SNL.

http://jakefogelnest.com/post/798738330

"Well it took some digging but I found it online on some weird Czechoslovakian YouTube knockoff site. Here is FEAR’s legendary performance from “Saturday Night Live” in 1981. The story of how this insanity came to be begins with John Belushi."

"Belushi loved punk rock. Here’s an excerpt from the excellent oral history of John’s life written by his widow Judith Belushi-Pisano and Tanner Colby"

DAN AYKROYD:
"Over the past few months, John had become one of the first punk-rock fans in America. He used to drag me to CBGB’s all the time. He knew all of those bands and loved them. He was a heavy-metal fan from the beginning, but back then that meant Allman Brothers and Zeppelin. Now it was FEAR.

The first score of the movie (Neighbors) was really, really weak. And then Tom Scott tried to do something and it just didn’t work. Then Bill Conti came in and did this comic, tinkly bells-and-xylophones score that wound up being in the movie. John was looking to put a little edge into the thing. He spent hours in the studio recording this punk song to use over the closing credits. I thought the FEAR thing worked when I heard it. But I wasn’t around for any of it. I was gone ‘til fall researching a movie."

MITCH GLAZER:
"There’s a moment where you’re so in the pocket that your choices are America’s choices. That’s the way it was with the Blues Brothers. The blues were nowhere, but John liked them, decided that everyone should like them, and everyone did. But toward the end the choices were getting strange, a little too aggressive. At one point he gave me a huge stack of his blues albums. He said, “I don’t want to listen to this **** anymore. **** this. All I’m going to listen to is FEAR and the Dead Kennedys.” It just felt wrongheaded.

John was one of FEAR’s earliest and most ardent supporters. He was obsessed with getting the band on the soundtrack to the movie “Neighbors,” even going as far to have FEAR record a session at Cherokee Studios produced by Steve Cropper and Bruce Robb. Yes. FEAR were produced by one of the Blues Brothers. Sadly the music never made it into the movie and those tapes are now lost."

"To make it up to FEAR, Belushi lobbied to get them booked on “Saturday Night Live” by promising **** Ebersol he’d make a cameo appearance on the same show. This was an offer Ebersol absolutely could not refuse.

At the time “Saturday Night Live” was in its seventh season, coming off of the disastrous 13 episodes of “Saturday Night Live ‘80” produced by Jean Doumanian. Ebersol had only recently taken over the show, so getting John Belushi to do anything would be a massive coup. FEAR were booked for the Halloween episode hosted by Donald Pleasence. It would be the fifth show with **** Ebersol as Executive Producer.

The New York Post headline actually read, “FEAR Riot Leaves Saturday Night Glad To Be Alive” but the story did report an estimated $200,000 in damages. A more accurate article appeared in Billboard Magazine a few weeks later.

It’s also interesting to note that Michael O’Donoghue played a role in getting Ebersol to book FEAR on SNL after seeing their appearance in Penelope Spheeris’, “The Decline Of Western Civilization.”

So there it is. FEAR on “Saturday Night Live,” October 31st, 1981."

Minor Threat's Ian MacKaye's take in interview with Nardwuar:

http://nardwuar.com/vs/ian_mackaye/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:49 am 

Black Flag, "Rise Above" live with Henry Rollins on vocals. I still have this on Target video. Probably '81-82 recording.

Black Flag, "Damaged" on SST Records, 1981. Full album. One of the all time greats.

The Angry Samoans, "Back from Samoa" Full album, 1982. Such a classic.

Zero Boys, "Vicious Circle" Full album, 1982 from Indianapolis, IN

The Descendents, "Milo Goes to College" Full album, 1982 (Green Day and Sum 41 wish they had half the cred as The Descendents)

The Exploited

The Circle Jerks, "Group ***" lp on Frontier Records, 1980. 14 songs in 15 minutes. No filler.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:09 am 

The Bad Brains only had a debut out when I saw them in the Midwest in the fall of 1982 with Die Kreuzen opening up. It was available on cassette only label, Roir. Can you dig that in today's music world?

I had a great photo of singer HR at the show with his finger pointing in the air, but someone stole it from my room during a college party. :cry: They also played reggae music in addition to blistering hardcore. Due to their raucous shows, they were banned at the time from playing clubs in their home town of Washington, DC, hence the song, "Banned in DC"

"Banned in DC" live at CBGB's, December 1982

"Right Brigade" live at CBGB's, December 1982

"Big Takeover" live at CBGB's, Merry Christmas 1982

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Contact Us | All times are UTC