The Committee to Keep Music Evil Forum

CTKME Forum

It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:45 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Committee to Keep Music Evil's online forum!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 456 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:02 am 

Mallarme:

"Crisis in Poetry,"
"The Book: A Spiritual Instrument,"
"Mystery in Literature,"
"English Words."

... if you don't understand these texts, do not consider yourself a modern artist.

"Igitur" and "Herodiade" follow au naturel(le)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:44 am 

I am 'afraid' to say what I AM reading because it might frighten the morons on this forum, of which there are many. Americans are frightened of intellectuals as are most 'rock-star' types. Rock-star types can't deal with real intellectuals because real intellectuals are too difficult to deal with in a real conversation. Rock stars like to 'keep it cool' -- on the level of who's gonna supply their next blow-job. Not very interesting, intellectually, but very interesting to the rock star who needs his **** sucked, obviously. So, ARE most of the sycophants on this forum ****-suckers or intellectuals, or ****-sucking intellectuals or just a bunch of faggots? I dunno and I don't care, but the 'voice of reason' from the mouse-sized squeak of the numpties on this board is growing louder.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:38 pm 

I am reading 'The Autobiography of Mark Twain' Volume one.
at over 730 pages hardcover, if I fall asleep reading it in bed with the book propped up, I could get injured!

Well,,,,you asked.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:08 am 

WilhelmZwei wrote:
at over 730 pages hardcover, if I fall asleep reading it in bed with the book propped up, I could get injured!

Well,,,,you asked.

yeah old sam was a bona fide rock star of his age... thrilling the victorian americans with his insouciant prose. falling asleep is the right reaction.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:45 am 

Yeah, so I read Robert Dean Lurie's account of his dealings with the Church, and mostly with the Church's front-man (Steve Kilbey, of course!)...and it was a good read, up to a point. I mean, it was a superficial account, if you ask me...not that it was bad, or anything like that... I completely respect the guy's commitment to a kind of truth...let's hear what Steve has to say! but, that ain't real journalism if one has taken upon oneself the disclosure of the same (a kind of truth)... There is too much aggrandizement... and as the account reads... IT IS BORING... and that is not what I wanted from an account of the Church, really,,, Lurie did not dig deep enough, did not challenge his subject (subject matter, or Kilbey) enough! There is no magic in this account (in the book so mentioned), and so, not enough to hold the reader's attention, except for those completely devoid of knowledge of their dynamic, of which I include myself. So... I felt gypped to some extent,,, as if I might have guessed 'all' of the eventuALities of this band, for whom there could have been a much grander narrative, or so I might have supposed. But to no avail: it was the typical story of a typical rock band, especially in the 80s (and there were so many more interesting stories in the 80s, according to this account), which left me wondering how and why any magic was generated from these guys.

Does that make 'sense' to the local thought police on this board??

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:10 pm 

Rowed Out wrote:
WilhelmZwei wrote:

Well,,,,you asked.

yeah old sam was a bona fide rock star of his age... thrilling the victorian americans with his insouciant prose. falling asleep is the right reaction.

So who's better than Samuel Clemons in the UK? Now or ever? the answer is

Nobody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:56 am 

just finished two forum recs. the city & the city was great. i'm gonna pick up perdido street station for sure.

also read last and first men. it was novel for its time, but read too much like a textbook.

guilty confession, just started this because the tv series was so badass:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:17 am 

BLACK KNIGHT: Just a flesh wound.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:23 am 

moby ****.. again..for these moments..

Quote:
"What is it, what nameless, inscrutable, unearthly thing is it; what cozzening, hidden lord and master, and cruel, remorseless emperor commands me; that against all natural lovings and longings, I so keep pushing, and crowding, and jamming myself on all the time; recklessly making me ready to do what in my own proper, natural heart, I durst not so much as dare? Is Ahab, Ahab? Is it I, God, or who, that lifts this arm? But if the great sun move not of himself; but is as an errand-boy in heaven; nor one single star can revolve, but by some invisible power; how then can this one small heart beat; this one small brain think thoughts; unless God does that beating, does that thinking, does that living, and not I. By heaven, man, we are turned round and round in this world, like yonder windlass, and Fate is the handspike. And all the time, lo! that smiling sky, and this unsounded sea! Look! see yon Albicore! who put it into him to chase and fang that flying-fish? Where do murderers go, man! Who's to doom, when the judge himself is dragged to the bar? But it is a mild, mild wind, and a mild looking sky; and the air smells now, as if it blew from a far-away meadow; they have been making hay somewhere under the slopes of the Andes, Starbuck, and the mowers are sleeping among the new- mown hay. Sleeping? Aye, toil we how we may, we all sleep at last on the field. Sleep? Aye, and rust amid greenness; as last year's scythes flung down, and left in the half-cut swaths - Starbuck!" But blanched to a corpse's hue with despair, the Mate had stolen away.

Quote:
How the wild winds blow it; they whip it about me as the torn shreds of split sails lash the tossed ship they cling to. A vile wind that has no doubt blown ere this through prison corridors and cells, and wards of hospitals, and ventilated them, and now comes blowing hither as innocent as fleeces. Out upon it!- it's tainted. Were I the wind, I'd blow no more on such a wicked, miserable world. I'd crawl somewhere to a cave, and slink there. And yet, 'tis a noble and heroic thing, the wind! who ever conquered it? In every fight it has the last and bitterest blow. Run tilting at it, and you but run through it. Ha! a coward wind that strikes stark naked men, but will not stand to receive a single blow. Even Ahab is a braver thing- a nobler thing than that. Would now the wind but had a body; but all the things that most exasperate and outrage mortal man, all these things are bodiless, but only bodiless as objects, not as agents. There's a most special, a most cunning, oh, a most malicious difference! And yet, I say again, and swear it now, that there's something all glorious and gracious in the wind. These warm Trade Winds, at least, that in the clear heavens blow straight on, in strong and steadfast, vigorous mildness; and veer not from their mark, however the baser currents of the sea may turn and tack, and mightiest Mississippies of the land swift and swerve about, uncertain where to go at last. And by the eternal Poles! these same Trades that so directly blow my good ship on; these Trades, or something like them- something so unchangeable, and full as strong, blow my keeled soul along! To it! Aloft there! What d'ye see?" "Nothing, sir."

and finally, chapter 32, rivaled only by "the grand inquisitor' for profundity..
Quote:
To the native Indian of Peru, the continual sight of the snow-howdahed Andes conveys naught of dread, except, perhaps, in the mere fancying of the eternal frosted desolateness reigning at such vast altitudes, and the natural conceit of what a fearfulness it would be to lose oneself in such inhuman solitudes. Much the same is it with the backwoodsman of the West, who with comparative indifference views an unbounded prairie sheeted with driven snow, no shadow of tree or twig to break the fixed trance of whiteness. Not so the sailor, beholding the scenery of the Antarctic seas; where at times, by some infernal trick of legerdemain in the powers of frost and air, he, shivering and half shipwrecked, instead of rainbows speaking hope and solace to his misery, views what seems a boundless church-yard grinning upon him with its lean ice monuments and splintered crosses.

But thou sayest, methinks this white-lead chapter about whiteness is but a white flag hung out from a craven soul; thou surrenderest to a hypo, Ishmael.

Tell me, why this strong young colt, foaled in some peaceful valley of Vermont, far removed from all beasts of prey - why is it that upon the sunniest day, if you but shake a fresh buffalo robe behind him, so that he cannot even see it, but only smells its wild animal muskiness - why will he start, snort, and with bursting eyes paw the ground in phrensies of affright? There is no remembrance in him of any gorings of wild creatures in his green northern home, so that the strange muskiness he smells cannot recall to him anything associated with the experience of former perils; for what knows he, this New England colt, of the black bisons of distant Oregon?

No: but here thou beholdest even in a dumb brute, the instinct of the knowledge of the demonism in the world.

Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way? Or is it, that as in essence whiteness is not so much a color as the visible absence of color, and at the same time the concrete of all colors; is it for these reasons that there is such a dumb blankness, full of meaning, in a wide landscape of snows - a colorless, all- color of atheism from which we shrink? And when we consider that other theory of the natural philosophers, that all other earthly hues - every stately or lovely emblazoning - the sweet tinges of sunset skies and woods; yea, and the gilded velvets of butterflies, and the butterfly cheeks of young girls; all these are but subtile deceits, not actually inherent in substances, but only laid on from without; so that all deified Nature absolutely paints like the harlot, whose allurements cover nothing but the charnel-house within; and when we proceed further, and consider that the mystical cosmetic which produces every one of her hues, the great principle of light, for ever remains white or colorless in itself, and if operating without medium upon matter, would touch all objects, even tulips and roses, with its own blank tinge - pondering all this, the palsied universe lies before us a leper; and like wilful travellers in Lapland, who refuse to wear colored and coloring glasses upon their eyes, so the wretched infidel gazes himself blind at the monumental white shroud that wraps all the prospect around him. And of all these things the Albino Whale was the symbol. Wonder ye then at the fiery hunt?

ImageImage

Many believe that the dawning Age of Light or Age of Consciousness defines itself in relation to our capacity for unconditional love, our ability to transcend enemy patterning and victim consciousness while adopting unity consciousness that sees divinity in all things. From this standpoint, it might be said humans are evolving into a “biologically conscious” species capable of holding and sharing the full light of unconditional love.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:07 pm 

and Adorno...for these..

a commentator says that reading Adorno requires the reader "to separate those statements he means quite literally and those that seem to have been made to shock them to attention" and here he adds a very sincerely meant passage from Adorno and Bloch:

"There is something that all people, whether they admit it or not, know in their heart of hearts: that things could have been different, that that would have been possible. They could not only live without hunger and also probably without fear, but also freely. And yet at the same time -- and all over the world -- the social apparatus has become so hardened that what lies before them as a means of possible fulfillment presents itself as radically impossible" (1985).

Not much has changed since the time this was published in German in 1985. The social apparatus is still hardened, or hardy-har-denned (after John Cleese), a calcified monolithic **** jamming "success" down our collective throats. You note above^ a dignity in failure. That has been forgotten in this anti-social social scene, compartmentalized neatly into various "tents" for every Bedouin's taste. Now, every **** (not dog) will have his day, as long as it is deemed a success...but a success of what? you ask... a success of a system that lets nothing of the outside of its own narcissism be, be glimpsed, be felt. You tell the kid that if God doesn't exist, then everything is possible; but you don't go and tell that to the kid in the Bronx, because he will kick your ***...possibly.

"Jack Kerouac went home, moved back in with his mother, and became a right-wing crank. The myth [of the 'open road'] lives, he's still celebrated annually as the apostle of anarchy, the champion of the freedom to do everything and say everything, he wrote in On the Road that, yes, under this great sky, I wished I was a negro, full of life and instinct and ...And, James Baldwin wrote in response, I wish I could have seen you read that stupid passage on the stage of the Apollo theater in Harlem, and I wish I could have been there to see what happened next. They actually had a hook at the Apollo, but I think Baldwin had something more vehement in mind" (Greil Marcus, Dylan).

If Christ came back, they'd burn him in the morning,
If Adolf came back, they'd send a limousine,
If Ahab came back, you'd "like" him on face(less)book

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:15 am 

Last edited by flyinghigh777 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:25 pm 

flyinghigh777 wrote:

Proudhon is referenced in Jon Savage's England Dreaming, which I'm currently reading due to my belief that something similar to punk (not necessarily aesthetically, but definitely in substance and attitude) is desperately needed right now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:59 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:43 am 

[quote="WilhelmZwei"][quote="Rowed Out"][quote="WilhelmZwei"]I am reading 'The Autobiography of Mark Twain' Volume one.

Well,,,,you asked.

So who's better than Samuel Clemons in the UK? Now or ever? the answer is

Nobody

Erm... shakespeare or wilde or --dare i include him in the UK -- (FORGIVE ME, IRELAND) -- JAMES JOYCE... any of those will kick your sam clemons into irrelevance-ville quicker than than shite thru a fucked goose. I hope i have made my point clear -- twain was a bourgeois ****.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:51 am 

MAURICE BLANCHOT

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 456 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

Contact Us | All times are UTC