The Committee to Keep Music Evil Forum

CTKME Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:00 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Committee to Keep Music Evil's online forum!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: what concerts have you been to recently?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:51 pm 

Hey MikeD. You beat me to it. That was an absolutely killer show last night. Wooden Shjips were, as usual, great. Each song they played just got longer and more psychedelic through their set.

The surprise for me was The Night Beats. Ditto MikeDs comments above...Highly recommended live. Absolutely amazing. Like any 3-piece, as I've said here before, the guitar player has a big job...This guy can play guitar...simply amazing...blew me away.

Great night MikeD.

P.S. Just talked with MikeD on the phone...See you soon for the in-store today.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:02 pm 

Saw The Night Beats again yesterday at a small record store in Eagle Rock. This 3-piece from Seattle is quite amazing. Worth looking into if one is into garage/punk psych.

Good find MikeD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:04 pm 

The Asteroid #4 show in San Diego was a masterpiece! The boys have a new bass player. Some of the band had not played live with the new guy yet. After a really groovy practice set Friday night at Committee Headquarters, the boys were ready. Their San Diego set was flawless, beautiful and full of older songs that don't get much live play. Scott's voice is as beautiful as ever. The sound that Eric gets out of that Rickenbacker is amazing...just incredible and a vital component to the overall sound. Ryan was playing a really cool Vox 12-string. Matt was flawless with his bass. He learned his parts perfectly...Kudos to you! Adam's drumming is something to behold. He, and Scott, are perfectionists...and it shows.

Frickin great show. Stayed in a very strange motel just a few blocks from the venue. Had a great brunch the next morning at Pacific Beach Ale House, sipping some good IPAs at noon.

I'll be catching the Tuesday show in Long Beach.

P.S. Also got to hear members of the Quarter After rehearsing some Fairfield Palour songs Friday night and again Saturday before leaving for San Diego. What a groovy scene to witness...words don't explain well enough. By the end of the evening Friday, circa 2am, I was ****-faced...couldn't drive...had to relenquish the wheel to my friend The Hypnotic Bridge to drive me home...Gotta remember to eat before I begin drinking bourbon and beer...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:36 pm 

New to the board. Here's a list of some memorable ones from the past year or so;

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Traveled ~1500 miles to see them. It was a reunion tour so I couldn't pass it up, shelled out a bunch of clams but it was worth every penny. Got to visit the city of Chicago too and it was such a rad place, wish I could've been there longer. Ended up scalping a ticket and seeing them two nights in a row. Best live performance I have EVER seen hands down. Both nights they played for two and a half hours and it was, sonically and emotionally, an incredible thing to witness.
The Black Angels
Sleepy Sun - opened for TBA and stole the show in my opinion.
Thurston Moore
The Entrance Band - EPIC
Bass Drum of Death - Never heard em before seeing them play live. They've got a new fan.
Two Gallants
No Age
Kurt Vile and the Violators
The Black Lips

Going to see Ty Segall and The Flaming Lips within the next month.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:15 pm 

The Asteroid No. 4 / Peter Daltrey at Cafe du Nord, San Francisco

Well, Ryan's amp gave out during the first song (My Love), but aside from that it was a perfect set. There was one song I didn't recognize (it was either a cover or something off Introducing, which I didn't have before last night), but other than that...

For someone who hasn't performed live in +/-40 years, Peter was in great voice (the higher registers seemed to be a bit of a struggle, though). He hit his stride about 4 songs in, and never looked back. Aries (off the Fairfield Parlour album) has absolutely majestic! And they ended with The Sky Children which I got some video from. The sound sucks, but it's uploading...
And they got an encore, too - they did Flight From Ashiya

There were several other people videoing, and the venue had a couple of cameras set up, so hopefully something proper comes out.

Here's a small, crappy, flickr set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rottingame ... 631473300/
I just couldn't be bothered to take many pictures...and the ones I did take just didn't turn out all that well.

(I'm afraid I didn't really pay attention to Bart Davenport, and I had to leave before Kelley Stoltz came on.... weird lineup: Asteroid was the opening band, and Kelley Stoltz played last...)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:37 pm 

Peter Daltrey and the Super Group - The Sky Children

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:58 pm 

sirago17 wrote:

Peter Daltrey and the Super Group - The Sky Children

What's up Sirago17? Looks like I can expect great things at the Satellite tomorrow night. Who else is in PD's backing band besides Rob and Christof?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:05 am 

supersonic89 wrote:
What's up Sirago17? Looks like I can expect great things at the Satellite tomorrow night. Who else is in PD's backing band besides Rob and Christof?

Hey supersonic! The "super group" is:
Rob - bass and the occasional guitar
Christof - guitars, recorder
Nick Castro - mellotron, keyboard, guitar
Cheryl Caddick - drums, flute
(with a cameo by Adam Weaver of Asteroid No. 4 on bongos and shaker)

And yes, A#4 were firing on all cylinders and Peter totally wins you over.
And, I'm looking forward to seeing this Strangers Family Band....I've heard good things.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:54 am 

sirago17 wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing this Strangers Family Band....I've heard good things.

You won't be disapointed. They're like Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd and San Francisco 1967 rolled into one!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:41 pm 

I agree. Strangers Family Band definitely have that 60's psych sound and will fit in great as an opener for Daltrey. See you tonight!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:25 pm 

An absolutely fantastic, epic show last night ey? Great hangin with ya Supersonic89, MikeD and Sirago17. I am still floating from that groovy scene. It was so cool to have a large crowd again as I so fondly remember good evenings at the ol Club Spaceland. And the light show just crowns the evening with psychedelic wonder. Those guys from San Diego make it happen. Thanks to the Operation Mindblow guys!

Looking forward to seeing the vids and photos from Supersonic and MikeD.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:01 pm 

What a weird few days I've had, man...
Great music and good friends, and loads of crappy car-related shenanigans. (2 flat tires in the middle of the night on the highway coming back from Frisco sucks, let me assure you - Saturday's road trip fared quite a bit better, but I did manage to forget my tickets and had to invade Gia's pad to reprint them, thus missing out on the pre-game fun and ended up missing Strangers Family Band, too).
But still...
Amazing nights of music!
I'm uploading my crappy videos, but you'd do well to wait for better ones (I'm looking at you, Supersonic, and hoping for the best!!!) :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:28 am 

gmgates wrote:
Looking forward to seeing the vids and photos from Supersonic and MikeD.

just finished going through the tapes and they look great! I've posted the best of A4's set already, and I'll try and get to PD's and Strangers Family sometime tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:17 pm 

**** Supersonic89...brings tears to my eyes. I'm still in a haze, knowing what I witnessed was epic. Words can't describe (at least my vocabulary can't) what a cool week that was tooling-around southern CA with the boys from San Diego, to Long Beach, to Palm Springs and, finally, that great conclusion at the Satellite! Man, it was like the ol days. The place was packed and everybody was there for the same thing.

I knew something stellar was approaching Friday when I picked them up at the airport. Shortly thereafter listening to the first practice set at Committee Headquarters. The next day at the same place listening to a Peter Daltrey's practice set before leaving for the San Diego show...I feel so fortunate, yet, today, strangely empty...like I've lost something dear to me...Man, it is strange.

Thanks for all that effort Supersonic89...

I am still completely in a haze, trying to focus on my work this morning but it is impossible.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:27 am 

Peter Daltrey and the "New" Kaleidoscope. More to come.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Contact Us | All times are UTC