The Committee to Keep Music Evil Forum

CTKME Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:49 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Committee to Keep Music Evil's online forum!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1013 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 68  Next
 Post subject: What movies have you watched recently?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:43 pm 

Aah.. another classic thread from the original forum.

Found my copy of Romper Stomper the other night.

Not bad for a Russell crowe film.

BLACK KNIGHT: Just a flesh wound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:40 pm 

Yep that was a decent film. Altho a couple of dim-witted guys i lived with in my first year at uni were obsessed with it and actually thought it was pro neo-nazi! Morons.

Watched 'Smoke' again recently, great film. Fun to watch Harvey Keitel play a regular guy working in a tobacco store rather than his usual gangster/crooked-cop roles. The sequel 'Blue in the Face' is also good for a laugh, funny cameos by Lou Reed and Jim Jarmusch.

Also recently saw 'Five Easy Pieces', a classic from that period when a lot of american directors started going all european with existential themes and enigmatic endings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:49 pm 

Rise of the Footsoldier - "What......you really thought there was cocaine ??? You soppy c*nts" Bang.....bang.....bang !!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:35 pm 

I've watched Cocaine Cowboys a few times recently and it is an amazing and highly entertaining documentary. There are former smugglers, dealers, players and hitmen featured in this doc. I had no idea that Miami in the 70s and early-to-mid 80s was considered the most dangerous city on the planet, with the murder rates skyrocketing with anywhere from 500-700 murders a year, and multiple homicides, shootings or gang hits virtually every day. It was pretty much like the wild west, with the Columbian Medellin cocaine cartel virtually running the city, and engaging in systematic warfare with rival Columbians and Cubans. The reality of the situation really conveyed the fact that Scarface barely scratched the surface, or was merely the tip of the iceberg. Jan Hammer scored the soundtrack, going over the top with a heavily inspired synth-pop 80s cheese fest, and some swanky 70s tunes to boot. The visual or art direction was purposely done in a cheese manner to capture the aesthetics of the era. It looks like that quite a bit of the film is up on youtube as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:49 pm 

alfresco slapstick wrote:
Also recently saw 'Five Easy Pieces', a classic from that period when a lot of american directors started going all european with existential themes and enigmatic endings.

Worth it alone for Nicholson's toast rant. Ace film.

Saw the original 3:10 to Yuma recently. Enjoyed it. Bit apprehensive about watching the remake now though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:17 pm 

never heard of "Cocaine Cowboys" have added on my netflix list.

i recently saw this one and was blown away.

highly recommended. it is by the same director who made the cell .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:47 pm 

Ikiru - great movie.
Walk Hard - i liked this more than any other Will Ferrell movie. hilarious
Cloverfield - it was intense! especially considering how high i was :lol: the ending sucks but I guess it makes room for a sequel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:02 pm 

I'm Happy & I'm Singi wrote:
Cloverfield - it was intense!

Agreed, this was genuinely disturbing which in my experience is pretty rare for a monster movie. I managed to trick my gf's sister into watching it without knowing anything about the premise of the plot - so she was in pretty much the same situation as the main characters of the movie! Maybe that was too cruel of me, she was scared shitless. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:45 pm 

American Gangster - bought it from play.com for like 7 quid which is a bargin coz i think its only just come out on DVD in the last few months! Russel Crowe and Denzel Washington star in this film about smackheads around the vietnam war era. Its intense, its got fur coats, its jacked up, its Harlem mother fucker! I love all 2hrs and 45 minutes of it!

Post subject: Sam P
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:19 am 

Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:42 am 

I'm Happy & I'm Singi wrote:
Walk Hard - i liked this more than any other Will Ferrell movie. hilarious

Ditto!

Sam: Get outta here, Dewey!
Dewey Cox: What are y'all doin' in here?
Sam: We're smoking reefer and you don't want no part of this shit.
Dewey Cox: You're smoking *reefers*?
Sam: Yeah, 'course we are; can't you smell it?
Dewey Cox: No, Sam. I can't.
Girl Groupie: Come on, Dewey! Join the party!
[takes a hit off a joint]
Sam: No, Dewey, you don't want this. Get outta here!
Dewey Cox: You know what, I don't want no hangover. I can't get no hangover.
Sam: It doesn't give you a hangover!
Dewey Cox: Wha-I get addicted to it or something?
Sam: It's not habit-forming!
Dewey Cox: Oh, okay... well, I don't know... I don't want to overdose on it.
Sam: You can't OD on it!
Dewey Cox: It's not gonna make me wanna have sex, is it?
Sam: It makes sex even better!
Dewey Cox: Sounds kind of expensive.
Sam: It's the cheapest drug there is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:34 am 

been watching The Wire
4 series so far.. one to go

absolutely boss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:15 pm 

El Topo. Cannibal Holocaust. Eastern Promises.

An acid western. El Topo being too deep and full of confusion that I can't begin to describe it. I suggest you use Youtube and dig out the trailer. There's no wonder that why Lennon said it was the best movie he ever saw, and my friend said it was the craziest stuff he'd ever seen.

Cannibal Holocaust being what it is. Some hip documentry movie makers moves into a south american village full of cannibals. They put their village on fire and stuff to get good stuff to film. And they don't hesitate to film themselves having sex with each other and raping a village woman either. Of course stuff happens, they get their dicks hacked off and butchered to pieces. An expedition sets out to find what happened to them only to find the tapes of their doings and then asking the question "Who was the real cannibals?".

The actor behind Aragorn "Mads somthing" plays a driver for the mob in Eastern promises. An underaged hooker gives birth and dies and Mads starts climbing the ladder up the London mob. Includes a scene where Mads fights for his life while being naked. Very nice.
And yes, it's made by he who did A history of violence. Therefor this one is also very violent and very good.
Head's up also for Naomi Watts being pretty as always.

And yes. Cannibal Holocaust, I didn't find it that good. Mostly just shock value. If I want that I rather watch The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. El topo was as said strange and all that, but still good. A nice metaphor how wrong things can tend to be when a dark character tries to regain his status in the world.
Eastern promises is not entirely up there with No country for old men or There will be blood when it comes to the best movies of 2007. But it's really close, therefor really good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:43 pm 

Quote:
been watching The Wire
4 series so far.. one to go

The Wire is a genius show...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:51 pm 

Borntohula wrote:
El Topo. Cannibal Holocaust. Eastern Promises.

An acid western. El Topo being too deep and full of confusion that I can't begin to describe it. I suggest you use Youtube and dig out the trailer. There's no wonder that why Lennon said it was the best movie he ever saw, and my friend said it was the craziest stuff he'd ever seen.

Cannibal Holocaust being what it is. Some hip documentry movie makers moves into a south american village full of cannibals. They put their village on fire and stuff to get good stuff to film. And they don't hesitate to film themselves having sex with each other and raping a village woman either. Of course stuff happens, they get their dicks hacked off and butchered to pieces. An expedition sets out to find what happened to them only to find the tapes of their doings and then asking the question "Who was the real cannibals?".

The actor behind Aragorn "Mads somthing" plays a driver for the mob in Eastern promises. An underaged hooker gives birth and dies and Mads starts climbing the ladder up the London mob. Includes a scene where Mads fights for his life while being naked. Very nice.
And yes, it's made by he who did A history of violence. Therefor this one is also very violent and very good.
Head's up also for Naomi Watts being pretty as always.

And yes. Cannibal Holocaust, I didn't find it that good. Mostly just shock value. If I want that I rather watch The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. El topo was as said strange and all that, but still good. A nice metaphor how wrong things can tend to be when a dark character tries to regain his status in the world.
Eastern promises is not entirely up there with No country for old men or There will be blood when it comes to the best movies of 2007. But it's really close, therefor really good.

El Topo is one of my favorite movies ever! i watched it when i was 15 and i was hella confused. great movie though

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1013 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 68  Next

Contact Us | All times are UTC