The Committee to Keep Music Evil Forum

CTKME Forum

It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 5:31 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Committee to Keep Music Evil's online forum!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Whats currently drinking with BJM fans...?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:13 am 

Fugs, I agree that we get a little spoiled here in Northern California w/regards to libations. I'm currently having some Lagunitas "A Lil' Sumpin' Sumpin'" ale at home as I type. (on the recommendation of a co-worker whose family also owns a restaurant/bar in Marin that was one of the first to pour "Pliny the Elder" on tap) It has decent citrus fruit and is more in the vein of a West coast IPA.

There seems to be a trend lately to double or triple hop/porter, etc., and while I like to experiment, I feel some craft brews may pushing the envelope a bit too far to set themselves apart and are not balanced enough.

Has anybody been to the Toronado in Lower Haight for the annual Barley Wine Fest that takes place in February during Presidents' weekend? It can be quite a drunk after the first few samples while trying to "fill your circles" of the 50+ different pours:

Good thing you can bring the delicious freshly grilled sausages from Rosamunde's Sausage Grill next door to help fortify yourself. My favorites are the Wild Boar, Duck with Figs and traditional Beer sausage in that order.

Many times, an ale feels too heavy and I prefer a lighter Pilsner to kick it. One of the best I've had happens to be brewed in Berkeley: Trumer Pils. It has a light, crisp sweetness and great finish in the tradition of Austrian/Czech/German lagers. This is my go-to choice while watching Sunday football games. You'd be surprised how much of this you can drink in a short period of time.

Scarborough, perhaps you'll have to make it back across the pond for one of the beer/wine fests for more research some day...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:02 pm 

jsbx, I think when I'm finally fed up with Portland I should very much like to see this magical land of quality sausage (ba dum, psh!) and beer. I'm feeling the winds of change already. Jealousy is flooding every capillary in my body.
[quote="fugs"]Has anyone tried Stone's Double *******? The arrogant ******* is pretty good, but I usually go for the ruination IPA when picking a stone. Wondering if the double will be any stronger.

Ah, the Double ******* and the Ruination. I have often had to run down the stalemate between the regular ******* and those two. Regular AB always seems to win. One of these days I shall kill my brain cells and my taste buds with those. I must admit I feel a little intimidated by the thought! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:19 pm 

On tap at this moment:
Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager (seasonal)
Drakes 1500 Pale Ale
Racer 5 IPA
Eagle Rock Populist IPA

The latter being a local brewery in Eagle Rock, CA. A small community not far from where I live in Pasadena. This IPA is one of the better one's at the moment. With the explosion of IPAs on the market, especially in CA, this one stands out. It has a wonderful (almost) orange color, not over-the-top bitter, crisp and clean finish. I must say that all the Stone beer now seem commercial to me. This is only because Stone was one of the first micro brewers to appear on the scene and one of the first to grow as big as they are. I think they are planning to open a brewery in Europe (somewhere). Any beer with a name like Arrogant ******* turns me off. Ruination is good, and I have it on tap at home sometimes. I'm anticipating a wonderful Pale Ale from Great Divide called Fresh Hop Pale Ale. It is, in my opinion, top tier, nothing better. It comes out in fall after the fall harvest of hops in the PNW.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:05 pm 

gmgates / jsbx very gealous ....

The crazy barley wine tasting looks such fun.... barley wine for me always freaked me out. Gold label in my youth obviously scared me... The old guardian carried the alcohol much better than I thought it was going to.

I am most gealous of the amount of micro beers you keep talking about, from a retailers perspective I would kill to be able to get my hands on this sort of stuff, wines no worries we can get pretty much what we like, when we like, but beer like this hardly leaves the state let alone comes to the UK.

I know a shipment of stone is coming to the uk soon, still pretty rare for us, the most interesting point is my supplier says expect a 2 month sell by date as stone love the fresher the better, it takes 5 weeks to get here, so need a ultra quick turn around or understanding customers...

Tomorrow a load of Maui stuff should arrrive in... tried the IPA last week so this week Coconut Porter and a belgium witbier esk thing called La Perouse....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:09 pm 

Using this thread as a shopping list can have debilitating effects! :lol:
Currently enjoying A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale.
Ruination did just that Friday night.
Or maybe it was the Laphroaig.
You know those hangovers that never really kick in and just threaten you all day? Yeah, that was my Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:42 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:17 am 

sploshette, Ironic I should be seeing your Leffe recommendation as I was just talking about it w/a Dutchman from Amsterdam while we both stared at the beer selection at Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheck) before I got home. I was on a Belgian ale kick a long while back (Affligem, Saison Dupont...still way too expensive) and would stock up on Leffe when they were on sale for $7.49 for a 6 bottle pack. He was saying how much he missed drinking Belgian ales back home and how expensive beer was in the US. I guess there are tradeoffs everywhere as the ethnic food is cheap in SF and told him he should check out alcohol prices in BC (Bring Cash), Canada if he wanted sticker shock. (damn cheap US $)

gmgates, you mentioned Eagle Rock. Have not had Populist, but have you ever been to Casa Bianca for pizza? Old school or not, my favorite pizza in LA. I remember driving an hour each way to ER when I worked down there.

Nixon in Furs, funny you should mention wanting to move to SF. I get tired of crowds, congestion, the high cost of living, etc. in California & have often considered moving to Portland. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. :lol: Anyway, here's a fellow Portlander's blog w/2 entries on his beer travels south:

:arrow: http://wortblog.blogspot.com/2010_04_01_archive.html

scarborough, I hope your visit to the Tonga Room didn't lead you down this path of destruction...

"Girl Drink Drunk" The Kids in the Hall

Those visiting SF can find their cocktail jones here in this NYT article from a while back:

:arrow: http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/travel/28journeys.html

:arrow: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/12/28/travel/1228-SPIRITS_index.html?ref=travel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:58 am 

Jsbx I may have danced with the devil at the tiki bar but its alright now.... although I did ask for an umbrella in my pint the other night so I may not have totally got over it....

I was reading about the famous Anthony Bourdain night he had there and by all accounts the film crew totally ran amuck.... diving in the pool and heaven knows what else they got up... good times.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:58 pm 

jsbx wrote:
gmgates, you mentioned Eagle Rock. Have not had Populist, but have you ever been to Casa Bianca for pizza? Old school or not, my favorite pizza in LA. I remember driving an hour each way to ER when I worked down there.

No man, I haven't. I really enjoy a "real" pizza though. Looks like the place is in Eagle Rock on Colorado blvd. Wonder if the pizzas happen to be cooked in a real wood oven. That is always a nice thing. I'm headed for Italy this summer. Arriving in Barcelona and leaving from Rome, doing the entire Med coast, with a short hop over to Venice. Excited at the prospect of great pizza as a simple snack during the day. Three weeks and a Eurail pass. I decided to give up my usual 5-week annual blow-mind in Thailand for this Euro jaunt. I'm, sadly, already excited about summer 2013 when I can get back to Thailand.

On another note, one can probably only find Populist on draught, and only in local bar/pubs or in my home :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:35 am 

[quote="jsbx"]Nixon in Furs, funny you should mention wanting to move to SF. I get tired of crowds, congestion, the high cost of living, etc. in California & have often considered moving to Portland. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. :lol:

Hahaha I actually just moved from California for the same reason. I haven't even chipped the tip of the iceberg here but have already been to some great bars. Hell, one of the reasons for moving here was the lower cost of alcohol.

Still, I know SF is a hub of amazing things. Plus I've always wanted to be a tourist and visit Haight and Ashbury. Unfortunately they know what they've got and expect you to pay out the *** for it.

Speaking of Oregon, this Saturday is the Naked Bike Ride through downtown. Gonna hit up a few bars and check out all the ugly bike riders. Found this ad on craigslist that takes user reviews of PDX bars. Think I'm gonna try to write up some gonzo pieces for em. $25 per chosen article.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:00 am 

'Been having a fair amount of Racer 5 IPA by Bear Republic since it is becoming more common to find on tap when you're out. The Wednesday shipment of Pliny the Elder came to my local Whole Foods today, but a tad rich at $4.49 per 17 oz. bottle. (even though it sells out in a few hours) The 6 bottles of Racer 5 at $8+ is better bang for the buck instead. This article from SF Bay Guardian just came out today:

http://www.sfbg.com/2012/09/11/another-ipa

Another IPA

BEER + WINE ISSUE: Confessions of a strong beer addict by Steven T. Jones

Stronger, faster

"BEER I'm addicted to strong beer.

In a less confessional mood, I might just leave it at the fact that I love strong, malty, hoppy India pale ales, the nectar of the gods. That weak-tasting lagers and pilsners just don't quite do it for me. But the truth is that I've begun to think of my taste for strong beer as something closer to an addiction, one that I'm increasingly powerless to resist.

It doesn't matter what time it is — or what my intention, mood, or level of sobriety. When the bartender asks what I want, my mouth almost involuntarily forms the words "Racer 5" or "Lagunitas IPA" or some other strong beer, as if it has a mind of its own and knows what it wants. I find it difficult to argue with my own mouth.

Even at a superb beer spot like Magnolia Pub and Brewery, with its wide variety of great and tasty beers — many of which I'll taste from time to time, just to remind myself of what I'm missing — I'll always wish that I'd ordered one of its house-brewed Proving Ground IPAs instead, and get that on my next round. Never mind the consequences of several 7 percent alcohol beers, it's just what I have to have.

I seek out bars like Toronado Pub and Murio's Trophy House that carry Pliny the Elder, Russian River Brewing Company's decadent double IPA, with its chart-topping 8 percent alcohol content. And on the special occasions when they're privileged to carry a keg of Pliny the Younger — the rarely-released triple IPA with 10.5 percent alcohol, the malty hops oozing from each pint — I'll be there with my fellow addicts at any hour of the day, staying until that keg is dead (which usually happens within an hour or so.)

Peer pressure may have something to do with it, because increasingly it seems as if my closest mates share and help enforce my addiction. I've been heckled mercilessly when I try to mix things up with a different, lighter pitcher during our long sessions at Zeitgeist, or when we're taking advantage of the $3 happy hour pints at Dalva and I stray from ordering Green Flash or Bombay by Boat.

Addictions need reinforcement, and we all seem to be part of cultural moment when strong beer — the stronger the better, as befits our maturing constitutions — is king. It's our birthright and our expectation. When Southern Pacific Brewing Company opened in my Mission District neighborhood last year, it surprised nobody that it brewed a strong pale ale, a stronger India pale ale, and an even stronger extra India pale ale.

As a Northern Californian in his mid-40s, I'm a child of the microbrew revolution, the first generation that rebelled against watery, mass-produced "beer," rejecting the Coors and Budweiser cans favored by the Baby Boomers in favor of the stronger, tastier ales hatched in bottles and kegs by California craft brewers.

That's when it began, simply enough, with beers like Anchor Steam and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale that would find themselves fermenting in ever-larger vats due to their popularity with my people.

But pretty soon, they weren't cutting it anymore, particularly after I began to experiment with homebrewing and developed a taste for the sweet malts and hops that I mixed into my wort, spurred on by watching my yeast consume carbs and expel strength into my bubbling concoction.

Maybe there's a cure for what ails me, or what ales my buds crave. Frankly, I'm not looking for one. I've embraced the fate that strength is my weakness, and I'll drink it in by the pitcher. Cheers."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:27 pm 

A fine rendition jsbx. Beer is certainly the coolest drink on the planet. I especially enjoy it, becuase, with diligence and caution, one can drink for hours. That is especially appealing to me to meet some mates, listen to music, eat and drink for hours.

It took me a few years to develop an appreciation for IPAs. A lot of hard work :-) I found the flavor, at first, simply overwhelmingly bitter. I carped that there was little technique in simply throwing in a bunch of hops to create such bitterness. As time went by, I noticed two things. First, a real bitter/sweet flavor. As the beer sat on my tounge, the bitterness came out. As the beer entered the back of the mouth, on the way down the throat, I noticed a real sweetness. That began to interest me. Secondly, I began to notice when drinking other types of beer, I didn't feel satiated. There is something about a hoppy beer that makes me feel satisfied.

Then, as you have suggested, the micro beer industry, especially in CA, took off. IPAs were being produced everywhere. It is sad, however, in one way, because I don't want to abandon a great lager simply because of a lack of hop or because I don't feel satiated. Has the devil hop ruined my pallet?

Approximately 16 years ago, I was in a local pub and in came the owner of a local Pasadena brewery, Craftsman Brewing. I had met Mark at various private local events where home brewers brought their wares and exchanged them, discussed each and critiqued. At one point he said to me, "why don't you buy a restaurant quality beer box, bring it to my shop and I will install an additional two spouts". He continued by saying that if I buy beer in the 5 gallon keg size, I could fit three different kegs inside the box. It became immediatly apparent to me that I was spending all this time and effort, brewing my own beers, when I could simply buy fine, hand-crafted beers from various micro brewers and enjoy draught beer at home.

Well, the rest is history. I am due to pick up a first-time-ever keg, this evening of a beer I'm very excited about. So my draught line-up, as of this evening, will be: Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager (yea, summer is really over. I buy 45 gallons of this beer when it comes out and store it at a great liquor store...I rack as needed from the large kegs into the 5 gal); the new beer from El Segundo Brewery, Citra Pale Ale and my personal favorite from Eagle Rock Brewery, Populist IPA.

Gettin thirsty already.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:23 pm 

Guys great to here what going on in California but your own draft.... now thats a thought...

I had a go on the Racer 5 when I was over there - very tasty...

True to my word we have quite a nice thing going on with the American Craft beers.... some great beers have drifted by over the last few months. Dont worry getting a stash of Stone very soon so not forgetting the Californians....

One thing I have noticed is just how cool and generous the average craft beer drinker is. As we have friends from all over America they keep dropping by the shop to share a random beer or two which is always a treat, doubley so when they are not sold in the UK but its all about sharing to them.... letting us taste something we have not encountered before. Oscar Blues was one such beer, Surley is another, Bells Hopslam was a high light as well.

Going to look at my own 10 gallon homebrew kit.... my wifes going to kill me!!!! its becoming quite an obsession;

Last weekend had a blast on Ska Decadent Imperial IPA had it on bottle and on draft. 10% beer and sold for £5 a half in the local pub ouch...

My favourite Ska is this little fella (drinking one as I type....)

But maybe my favourite beer so far is from another producer from Colorado from the mighty Odell...

Most flavoursome best balanced 9% plus beer I have tasted...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:15 am 

I love beer (especially a good ale), but I honestly just do NOT get the IPA craze. :?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:31 pm 

No worries mojo love a good ale as well ..... nowt wrong with that indeed...

I have just got a few bottles of stone!!!! which to drink first..... I actually went for the straight IPA, ruination for when I get home tonight after Julian Cope in Leeds and then maybe a smoked porter, mixing my drinks hell yeah...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Contact Us | All times are UTC