The Committee to Keep Music Evil Forum

CTKME Forum

It is currently Mon May 01, 2017 4:21 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The Committee to Keep Music Evil's online forum!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: Whats currently drinking with BJM fans...?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:40 pm 

A stash of The Bruery arrived in Yorkshire, Trade Winds and Mischief bang on.... Fruet about as good as it gets.... Tart of Darkness for lovers of Kriek Stout style.... good stuff all round, expensive but great to share with firends....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:12 pm 

mojo navigator wrote:
I love beer (especially a good ale), but I honestly just do NOT get the IPA craze. :?

There is no "craze" as you phrase it. (for me, at least) It's just a growing appreciation for something that many of us enjoy. When I was growing up in the midwest, there was not much choice for anything other than watery tasteless beer (aka lawn mowing beer) when you went to a bar or store. If you wanted something better or different, you had to go out of your way to search it out. You can draw the same parallel with many things in life, including music. I grew up with access to mostly bad mainstream music, but I knew there was always something better not being played and that you had to go out and search for it if you wanted it. Otherwise, you just end up with a lot of dreck.

I am just happy that better tasting libations are becoming more common and people's palates are evolving. (as is access to good music, food, etc.) Unfortunately, good beer tends to cost a little more. You can still find more affordable choices if you know where to shop and to look for sales. If you travel enough, you will know that many places still do not offer many good beer options, so it's nothing to take for granted. My favorite beer is always the one that's in front of me. Cheers and bottoms up! :wink:

Just read this article from San Francisco Magazine while waiting in line earlier to buy more beer --> http://www.modernluxury.com/san-francisco/story/the-new-beer-buzz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:08 pm 

Nice one jsbx totally agree..... IPA craze or craft beer craze is getting a lot of attention in the UK, for years two main brewery’s made most of the beer and then sold it through their tied pubs, marketing meant you bought a brand and the chances were you would find that on in most of the pubs you went too. Real ale of course did exist and even some of them had success, theakstons, Black sheep, Taylors landlord all good beers on their day, but this was the next problem lager was so well marketed bitter ended up being seen as old man’s beer, not trendy and it ended up sat around in kegs way longer than it should. This perpetuated the problem turning more people away from bitter and the strangle hold got tighter.

Fast forward to today the brewery’s are losing their grip, tied pubs cannot survive the high costs for branded beer which you can buy in the supermarket cheaper than a bottle of water (smoking ban not helped them either). Local beers are all the rage now, they are lucky if they sell much more than 30 miles from the brewery, very much mirco in size, these guys make small batches and are prepared to experiment a little, not everything works but better to try and fail then to serve up boring safe beer all the time.

Added to this are beers from overseas, continental Europe has long found a home un the Uk but the US is very much back on top, many of course small batch and pretty experimental I guess the main thing is it is the exact opposite to bland mediocre beers. Craft beers need not be micro, sirraa nevada may have grown massive but it must still be a craft beer as its far from bland. I appreciate there are things more exciting but it’s still better than most.

I think this is the best period to be a beer in decades, so much choice, lots off rotation and a vast well of new beers to try. Maybe experimenting can go too far but if it stops selling then styles will soon change. I also sense a change in drinking habits, less is more and some of these strong beers cannot be necked in the same fashion as before and popping out for a couple of beers is common.

I know I am preaching to the converted but like I said at the start its really big news over here in the UK and long may that be…

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:17 pm 

Enough beer talk..... feast your eyes on these little beauties... will let you know how they taste soon... whilst kicking back to Dandys Rule of course.....

Not if you were the last wino on earth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:26 pm 

How was that Dandy's wine Scarborough? Stopped by Great Basin after Christmas shopping last night. First local brewery I ever experienced (their Icky is legendary). They've brewed up a special ale, the Mayan Maybe? Very tasty - includes actual ingredients used by the Mayans. The local Total Wine is carrying a four-pack of the ale that I will definitely pick up. Here's to ya!
http://www.greatbasinbrewingco.com/site ... yan_maybe/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:06 pm 

Fourth if truth be told not got round to it yet, have them lined up for a few friends and getting us all together this side of Christmas was never going to happen....

That Mayan beer sure has a short expire date.... best drink up, looks great.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:36 am 

Dandy Warhols wine? :roll: Fuckin' A - what in the Sam Hill's next?!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:56 am 

Appreciation of libations has always been strong in Northern California, but there has been a boom of craft beers and drinking establishments. There are 27 new spots that have been opened this year or expect to by early 2014 in the SF Bay area:

http://sf.eater.com/archives/2013/08/20/the_ultimate_bay_area_beer_map.php

"Craft Beer - a Hopumentary"

I'm not sure if there will be enough beer drinkers to keep up with this head of steam, but as a consumer, I rather like all the options.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:41 pm 

Great vid jsbx, I had a pint of lagunitas in London the other week, love to get it in my shop. Our sales of US craft beer (here in the UK) are off the chart, its fucking great time to be a beer lover.... add to that the new wave of UK beers, happy daze...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:52 pm 

Having sank more than a few beers and ales over years I'm afraid acid reflux has caused me knock it on the head, now and again I have the odd pint of real ale but always pay for it later on.

To a the misery I'm think I may have gluten intolerance thing going on as well , must be an age thing :wink:

Anyway my tipple of choice is vodka but I'm also partial to a nice rum and of course wine.

Just discovered Kraken rum which is crackin :D
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn.sneakhype.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/kraken.png&imgrefurl=http://sneakhype.com/food-and-drink/2011/03/kraken-black-spiced-rum-8-pics.html&h=494&w=619&sz=119&tbnid=PqfLpTIHqWRvYM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=114&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dkraken%2Brum%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=kraken+rum&usg=__UWQ_33weRgCcUf47nbVY6bK6p8A=&docid=iS8qcja_S9HfMM&sa=X&ei=ieFeUp7UIo-ThQeU5oGABA&ved=0CFsQ9QEwBw

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:46 pm 

Tea - hot and sweet.

I had to search for this thread, but I wanted to be self-indulgent, so please forgive me....

Sometimes telling someone means a lot. Saying it out loud to myself doesn't always do it justice so here it is.....

2 years, 5 months, 1 week and 5 days sober.

BLACK KNIGHT: Just a flesh wound.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Contact Us | All times are UTC